Bad window motors?

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
Mainly looking for someone to double check my logic before I order new windows.

Installing all the glass and motors into my doors. Motor seemed to work ok with no glass installed. Once installed it slowed way way down, replaced the bushings and it got better but still slow and seemed to only get the window 96% of the way up. Now I have the run channels installed and it’s stuggling / failing to get the window up. It’s also killing the battery just running the windows while i adjust.

As it stands the batttry is on the charger over night. If it’s not wildly better with a fully charged battery, I plan to replace the motors. These are factory motors. Sounds like age is just simply getting the better of them.

Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

When I did my run channel, the windows struggled to go up more than halfway. I also thought I'd have to replace both.

Then I sprayed silicone lube in the channels and the windows were able to move freely again. That helps me finalize the run channel install and get everything seated. Left the windows up for a week or so then lowered them and applied more lube. Since then, they've not had an issue going up or down at all. No struggle and as quick as expected.

It's been over a year and still fine, but when I did my initial install they wouldn't go past half way

Reactions: 1 user
When I did my run channel, the windows struggled to go up more than halfway. I also thought I'd have to replace both.

Then I sprayed silicone lube in the channels and the windows were able to move freely again. That helps me finalize the run channel install and get everything seated. Left the windows up for a week or so then lowered them and applied more lube. Since then, they've not had an issue going up or down at all. No struggle and as quick as expected.

It's been over a year and still fine, but when I did my initial install they wouldn't go past half way

That’s exactly what my worry was, didn’t wanna buy new motors and the issue be the windows binding somehow. After buying all
New weather strip for the car ( ouch) and several other expensive needed items , I’m really counting every dollar.

So, with a fully charged battery, it seems to be rolling up better, just slow. I believe the motor is simply showing its age combined with me killing the battery . So as it stands, I’m gonna put new window motors on the want but not need list for now. If there is a issue, itll show it’s self soon.

Do the testing with the engine running and the battery fully charged. You'll be surprised at the difference it makes.
If that doesn't change things dramatically, check the voltage at the motor while it is running. You may find it lower than the expected 12 volts.

Do the testing with the engine running and the battery fully charged. You'll be surprised at the difference it makes.

just did. It improved enough for me to ignore for the time being. I believe part of the issue is needing to adjust the window more. It’s nice to have windows in the car again.

Reactions: 1 user
The motors never go bad, the gearboxes do, but can be rebuilt for $6, the cost of "torque pins".
The power windows have no limit switches & sense all up or all down when the current rises high enough to trip an internal thermal circuit breaker. You might have to wait a while to cool down to let the thermal reset.

Ok. I believe I finally got it.

My issue was the bracket that holds the guides and bushings. (Picture below). I believe I had the upper bracket facing the wrong direction and it was causing a bind. ( if anyone has a t top or convertible with the door panel off, could you check? ). Once I got it set, I spent awhile rolling it up and down checking for binding and made adjustments as needed.

Voltage read at 12v+ both up and down. It rolls up much much better while it’s running though.

It’s noticeably slower than the other though.

Alright. Final update. After all the new weather strip was in, it would only roll up with the car running and would take several attempts. I broke down and ordered the Daniel carpenter motor for $30. Went right in and was 100% better. Would roll up just fine with the car off or on and was going higher. So much more that I could adjust the window to a better seal.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Ok, hate to revive this but I don’t thing my issue is completely fixed. I believe I’ve narrowed down my issue to the bracket that the bushing rides in. On the drivers side the window doesn’t move but the passenger, even with new bushings has some slop to it. I’m thinking I’ll try to pop out the bushing and maybe add a little tape to shim it tight.