Baer or Wilwood brakes?

After powdercaoting my Granada front and Lincoln rear calipers:mad: ... I sold my bike and with that money am wanting to upgrade the brakes before I get it back on the road. I guess I will be doing the rears first since I will not be able to use the parking brake with these Lincolns and I live on a hill but wonder which company is more popular and why? I may end up going with the sn95 front strut/brake set up so I hate to spend the money on the front right now. Anyway any ideas would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

What are your plans for the car? Local driving, highway driving, open track drag racing?

I have both the Wilwood and the Baers on 66's with standard spindles. I like them both. The Baers are more expensive but a direct bolt on with little fuss and stop much better IMHO than the Wilwoods. The Wilwoods I have need an extra 3/8 to 1/2 inch backspacing. (have heard the newer ones don't but have no info on that)

Obviously they are both better than drum brakes.

The install took a few hours longer with the Wilwoods than the Baers.

I went Baer (not installed yet)

I went Baer because:

•I could order them with just slots, no holes - not sure if you can with Wilwood.

•Wilwoods push the wheel out farther, (more so than Baer) and I did NOT want that - don't want to roll my fenders with my 245s or have to go smaller.

•Completeness of the kit and ease of installation - Baer has a great reputation for this.

•I like the silver look, not the black Wilwood look.

Downsides to Baer:

-the WAIT! took over 2 months, partly due to the slotted only option - drilled/slotted is more common so wait time is shorter.

-Higher cost, but I got mine from Streetortrack.com before prices went up, so $979 before I ordered 2-piece rotors which upped the price.

In my opinion you have to be very specific when comparing one to another. Both companys offer multiple different kits, so it is safe to say that both Wilwood is better than Baer and Baer is better than Wilwood.

I put a set of 4-piston Wilwoods on mine that did not alter track width at all, but some do, I'd wager the same is true for Baer as well. Some kits from both companys are not much ("if any" is debatable) better than the old-school KH setups. But of course some kits from both are much better than stock ones.

The car is basically never going to see any type of track but rather just a high tech hot rod for the street. I was told the wait for the Baer kits will be 6-8 weeks but if I take the time to go ahead and Fuel inject it that may allow me the time to completly finish all of these projects. So I think thats the direction I am going. They are expensive but I think the end result will be great.

yep, with the track front kit I got = PBR

Rusty67 said:
With some Baer kits they are using PBR calipers which are the same used on a Cobra so you can go to the local parts store and buy replacement pads if you get one of those kits.

I can verify that - that's the way it is on my Track fronts.