Baffles in the 04 Cobra Tailpipes?

BlkOnBlk04Cobra

May 23, 2005
Erie, PA
Ok - so I'm a newcomer to the Cobra community. (Traded my pristine 98 GT in on the "bad boy" of the family. - WOW - whole new world!) So anyway - I notice that it has baffles in the tailpipes. Is there any way of extracting these to improve the exhaust note??? I didn't notice such baffles in earlier stangs?? Any ideas? Thanks much!!

• Sponsors (?)

BlkOnBlk04Cobra said:
Ok - so I'm a newcomer to the Cobra community. (Traded my pristine 98 GT in on the "bad boy" of the family. - WOW - whole new world!) So anyway - I notice that it has baffles in the tailpipes. Is there any way of extracting these to improve the exhaust note??? I didn't notice such baffles in earlier stangs?? Any ideas? Thanks much!!
Baffles in the stock exhaust? Are you sure it's the stock exhaust and not a Bassani or Magnaflow cat-back?

U.M.

I noticed this on several 04's I saw sitting on the lot last fall and asked about it. Dealer stated that the later 04's came with an exhaust with baffles in it. Told me to remove the 2 set screws on the bottom and it comes right out.

Uncle Meat said:
Hmmm.... Learn something new every day! My '03 came sans baffles. The stock exhaust was pretty quiet to begin with, I wonder why Ford thought additional baffles were in order?

U.M.

I looked at my 04's exhaust and sure enough it looks like baffeling...i.e. it has an inner lip but when I looked for a screw there was none. *shrugs* Just the mounting bracket to the under side of the car. The tips look weilded to the exhaust....Am I missing somthing there?

Anyhow the point is mute for me...I'm getting Maganaflow catbacks next week. Yeah!

Took a look - no set screws here?? If I can't get rid of them it'll definitely be time to look for aftermarket pieces. Any suggestions or soundclips you can share? Thanks for all the feedback. At least I know I'm not the only one a little "baffled" by this... :nonono: Wow that was bad.

:OT: - I just ordered a cobra grill emblem from SS Inserts. Dumb question, but I'm noticing that emblems are made with the cobra facing both left and right for the grill depending on who you get it from. Is there a right way for it to face??

BlkOnBlk04Cobra said:
Took a look - no set screws here?? If I can't get rid of them it'll definitely be time to look for aftermarket pieces. Any suggestions or soundclips you can share? Thanks for all the feedback. At least I know I'm not the only one a little "baffled" by this... :nonono: Wow that was bad.

:OT: - I just ordered a cobra grill emblem from SS Inserts. Dumb question, but I'm noticing that emblems are made with the cobra facing both left and right for the grill depending on who you get it from. Is there a right way for it to face??

Yep same we both have black 04's lol ...

On the cobra question...do you dress it right or left normally...and well there's your answer..ROFLAMO

:lol: Ok I guess I deserved that. You can get off the floor now. Have you (or do you intend to) do any mods to your '04. If so, which ones and why? I'd love to grab a few extra ponies, but I'm terrified that I'm going to blow the bottom end to pieces if I go about the wrong way. Anybody have any opinions to share on their "bolt on" experiences.

BlkOnBlk04Cobra said:
:lol: Ok I guess I deserved that. You can get off the floor now. Have you (or do you intend to) do any mods to your '04. If so, which ones and why? I'd love to grab a few extra ponies, but I'm terrified that I'm going to blow the bottom end to pieces if I go about the wrong way. Anybody have any opinions to share on their "bolt on" experiences.

I'm doing a pully swap...to the 2.8 and then the smaller gator belt....and a new CAI JLP probably...custom tune.

First thing dude is get an MGW shifter in that Biaaatch. You will freak out! The difference is staggering. Easy install...I did it and was test driving it under and hour.

I only have the MGW shifter and a K&N in it now...LOL But like the sig says....

Magnaflow Cat Back +24 rwhp
MaganFlow X pipe if Jordan still has his laying around +?? hp
2.80 pulley swap +75rwhp
Custom tune +30rwhp
CAI Steeda or JLP +25rhwp

Dat be a bad motta finger! near 500rwhp I'm hoping for 485 when it's all said and done... :)

Yeah the diffy freaks me out....I need to put the diferential cover replacement for sure...then it's suspension galor!

Nice :) Check my garage link...shows my obsession with detail products...LOL

BlkOnBlk04Cobra said:
I'd love to grab a few extra ponies, but I'm terrified that I'm going to blow the bottom end to pieces if I go about the wrong way. Anybody have any opinions to share on their "bolt on" experiences.

OregonMustang said:
I'm doing a pully swap...to the 2.8 and then the smaller gator belt....and a new CAI JLP probably...custom tune.

First thing dude is get an MGW shifter in that Biaaatch. You will freak out! The difference is staggering. Easy install...I did it and was test driving it under and hour.

I only have the MGW shifter and a K&N in it now...LOL But like the sig says....

2.80 pulley swap +75rwhp
Custom tune +30rwhp

Dat be a bad motta finger! near 500rwhp I'm hoping for 485 when it's all said and done... :)

Yeah the diffy freaks me out....I need to put the diferential cover replacement for sure...then it's suspension galor!

Nice :) Check my garage link...shows my obsession with detail products...LOL

Of course all of this will void your warranty! Are you (BlkOnBlk04Cobra) worried about your warranty being voided? If all your looking for is a few extra ponies, stick with just a CAI and a catback, that will get you to 400RWHP and your warranty will thank you...

U.M.

Thanks U.M.!! The warranty was a little bit of a concern, and I am (at this point) only looking for a "few" extra ponies and a better exhaust note. Ofcourse we've all heard that before. I know the minute I put my first wrench to it and break the seal it'll be mod fever all over again. :nice:

Thanks again ALL!! :hail2: Hope to talk again soon.

Uncle Meat said:
Of course all of this will void your warranty! Are you (BlkOnBlk04Cobra) worried about your warranty being voided? If all your looking for is a few extra ponies, stick with just a CAI and a catback, that will get you to 400RWHP and your warranty will thank you...

U.M.

But if you get a custom tune you can untune it...my preditor had that.
The X pipes will void? I my exhuast guy said that as well....can't I claim they got hit by a rock? LOL I may pass on them....if so.

pulley...yep most definatley...but you can swap it back no? Jordan does this all the time!
I'm doing it and praying for the warranty to stay in tact...LOL I had my 99 up until last year...zero problems..nada none zippo!

LOL
:flag:

OregonMustang said:
But if you get a custom tune you can untune it...my preditor had that.
The X pipes will void? I my exhuast guy said that as well....can't I claim they got hit by a rock? LOL I may pass on them....if so.

pulley...yep most definatley...but you can swap it back no? Jordan does this all the time!
I'm doing it and praying for the warranty to stay in tact...LOL I had my 99 up until last year...zero problems..nada none zippo!

LOL
:flag:

It all comes down to your service department... some are cool, some are anal. I'm not willing to take the risk personally... I'll just wait for Mr. warranty to expire and then it's pulley time!

U.M.

2.80 pulley swap +75rwhp
Custom tune +30rwhp

I have all these mods and a little smaller pulley. you might be closer to 460-470RWHP. your torque numbers will be around the same too.

most guys arent seeing the magic 500 number without a ported blower.

tom's_03SVT said:
2.80 pulley swap +75rwhp
Custom tune +30rwhp

I have all these mods and a little smaller pulley. you might be closer to 460-470RWHP. your torque numbers will be around the same too.

most guys arent seeing the magic 500 number without a ported blower.

add longtubes made for the 03-04 exhaust port and some blower cooling upgrades like a big HE and chiller box and you can make 480-490HP and over 500 TQ. That is where I am now without cracking the motor or blower.

I have an 04 exhaust with only 500 mi on it, now you got me wondering about those baffles so I will have to take a look at what came off my rocket.

- 04_snake

04_snake said:
add longtubes made for the 03-04 exhaust port and some blower cooling upgrades like a big HE and chiller box and you can make 480-490HP and over 500 TQ. That is where I am now without cracking the motor or blower.

I have an 04 exhaust with only 500 mi on it, now you got me wondering about those baffles so I will have to take a look at what came off my rocket.

- 04_snake
where did you get that chill box my friend it's awesome!
What about the methanol injectors in the air box...like the ones from SnowPerformance... :flag:

yes dont worry about the stock bottom end on these new cobras i just read a article in hotrod a lil while back that claims the stock 03-04 cobra internals and everything are good to 1000 horses

black94gt50 said:
yes dont worry about the stock bottom end on these new cobras i just read a article in hotrod a lil while back that claims the stock 03-04 cobra internals and everything are good to 1000 horses
Doubtful... The pistons are the weak link and they're not going to last at that power level. The crank and rods may, but the pistons are getting damaged on numerous 03/04 Cobras at power levels well below 1000.

U.M.