barely running/rough idle after x pipe install

scott5948

Feb 18, 2012
Help !! Since this is my son's car and he is over seas he has had me bring his car to the shop to have 3:73 gear's , short tube headers and an off road x-pipe installed. I took his car out for some exercise today and got about 2 miles down the road before it quit. I connected the computer and it was throwing a cam shaft positioning sensor code, i replaced that and it cleared, but it still will not run. When i try and start it, it will rev up to about 1500 and then die again, when it does try and rn it is really rough like the timing is off. Does any one have any ideas, i would like to have this fixed by the time he comes off deployement, thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd bet the front O2 sensor may not be properly connected. Many AutoParts stores have OBDII readers as loan a tools. If you use that, it may show an O2 sensor error. If so I'd really recheck the connection before replacing parts. Disconnect the battery while checking and it should erase the code and clear the settings. If that seems to resolve it, drive it for another 50 to 100 miles to give the code a chance to come up again. If it doesn't, you should be good.

I hope that's all it is.

Tell your son Thanks for protecting our freedom!

yes it was, i read that the alternator might not be runing 100 % that is why the p0340 cam shaft sensor went off. So i was figuring on proably ramping the car back to the exhaust place and have them un screw the 02 sensor issue then driving it to autozone to have the alternator tested.