Battery Cut-Off Problem

GearHd6

Jul 19, 2005
Ashford, CT
I need to install a battery cut-off switch but my problem is that I can disconnect either the positive or negative battery cable and the engine continues to run. Is there a fix for that? I heard something about puttin a diode in a wire off the alternator. Any clues? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

You need to take the black/orange wire off the alt and run it back to the postitive side of the cut off switch you also will need a circuit breaker back there. So run the wire from the alt to the circuit breaker then from the breaker to the postitive side of the cut off switch.

GearHd6 said:
Is that wire in the big plug on top of the alternator or off the smaller plug on the side? And the cut-off needs to be wired into the positive side?

Just look for a black wire with a orange line in it. If I remember right there should be two coming out of the plug and they turn into one. You need to splice into that and run a heavy gauge wire back to the cut off switch. Yes It needs to go to the postitive side because the Alt needs to be able to send power back the battery in order to charge it. Dont forget about the circuit breaker you need that.

the the two black with orange stripe wires are one the harness going into the alternator. the one with 3 wires i believe. cut the two black wires off about 2 inches from the plug that goes into the alt. attach a 2 gauge wire to BOTH the black wires coming off the alternator. run this cable to the POSSITIVE side of the kill switch. also to the possitive side should be a wire coming from the possitive battery terminal. on the other side of the kill switch is the wire that runs to the front of the car to the solinoid. the negative from the battery should be grounded to the back or to the block, your choice. i ground in the back. the third wire on the harness you cut should be left alone. put some tape over the black wires that you cut off so they dont short out.
i dont know anything about a circuit breaker that Black 93 Fox mensioned, i dont have one any my kill switch works fine

Yeah a circuit breaker isnt going to stop the kill switch from working its a safety matter.

luckythirteen13 said:
the the two black with orange stripe wires are one the harness going into the alternator. the one with 3 wires i believe. cut the two black wires off about 2 inches from the plug that goes into the alt. attach a 2 gauge wire to BOTH the black wires coming off the alternator. run this cable to the POSSITIVE side of the kill switch. also to the possitive side should be a wire coming from the possitive battery terminal. on the other side of the kill switch is the wire that runs to the front of the car to the solinoid. the negative from the battery should be grounded to the back or to the block, your choice. i ground in the back. the third wire on the harness you cut should be left alone. put some tape over the black wires that you cut off so they dont short out.
i dont know anything about a circuit breaker that Black 93 Fox mensioned, i dont have one any my kill switch works fine