Battery disconnect

• Sponsors (?)

steedastangt said:
I was wanting to put a battery disconnect on my car for security reasons, but the only ones i can find are trunk mounted. Could a toggle switch be used? any ideas are appreciated.

Yeah, but I would make sure that the connection is big enough. I have seen dissonnects that simply make the line in two. It it basically two plates held together by a wingnut ( on negative side though so you don't have to worry about shorts). I know when you are dealing with outlet power (in your house) you can't simply put any switch in, you need to worry about connection, this may not apply to cars though. I don't know, I shouldn't even replied to this, I am crazy.
:nonono: :nonono:

I don't know much about electricity, but I had a thought. Of course you might have already thought about this. I wouldn't disconnect from the battery, b/c that means you would have to reset all radio stations in your car which I realize is trivial compared to a stolen car. If you could, you might just want to make a disconnect for the starter.

Just a thought

An ignition or starter kill switch will be easier and just as effective. If you are plnning a switch between the battery negative terminal and the chassis, it must be capable of more than 100Amps at 12VDC. That's a real big switch that will certainly be easy for the bad guys to find. You can find them at marine stores (used to switch in a backup battery).

I always wondered how to do the starter switch. Don't have the guts to do it though. I'm afraid the switch will fry or something and not be able to start the car. Plus I have a manual :)

steedastangt said:
I was wanting to put a battery disconnect on my car for security reasons, but the only ones i can find are trunk mounted. Could a toggle switch be used? any ideas are appreciated.

I also considered what your talking about for the same reason. I chose this route instead. I simply put relays inline with the power wire to the fuel pump and to the starter with hidden switches to energize and deenergize the relay coils. In other words, being able to turn those circuits on and off. Only cost a few bucks and a few hours.

The starter switch is easy to add. You just wire it in series with the clutch starter interlock switch, which plugs into a connector mounted just above the clutch pedal. With a manual transmission, you probably have to mount the switch somewhere you can reach with your hand, since you need to use your foot to keep the clutch pedal down when starting. I have an A/T, so just mounted the switch at the top of the 'dead' pedal.

n0v8or said:
The starter switch is easy to add. You just wire it in series with the clutch starter interlock switch, which plugs into a connector mounted just above the clutch pedal. With a manual transmission, you probably have to mount the switch somewhere you can reach with your hand, since you need to use your foot to keep the clutch pedal down when starting. I have an A/T, so just mounted the switch at the top of the 'dead' pedal.

I would want a manual switch anyway. Somewhere hidden.