Battery Drain

Skystang

Dec 31, 2010
Colorado
I have a 2004 GT. Bought her in late 2010. I have to experienced a battery drain. Finally developed a bad cell or two in the battery and just put in a new battery and don't want to lose another. This car came with a python alarm and an Varad Underglow kit. There is one set of hot/ground wires going to the post on this battery with a inline fuse. I was told from the seller she drains pretty frequently and I have certainly confirmed that. I'm not good with electronics so I need your thoughts. I have the original simple Ford remote to lock and unlock and pop the trunk when I remove the fuse and ultimately the Python remote/alarm system. However, I'd rather use the nice remote for the python. If I remove the fuse which is in the set of ground/hot wires to the battery terminals, I loose my python alarm and the Varad underglow. So, it must have been tied "both underglow and alarm" under the dash since there is only a single red/black to the battery post with the fuse. I'm told by Car Toys that it's common to loose a battery in just two to three days if you don't start the car because there is always a drain with these type aftermarket devices. I feel that is way to soon. What would you do or have you done in this situation. My car only has 12,000miles on her and is showroom clean and I'm very picky and want it done right and not to have some half arse stuff going on. Please let me know if this is common and how would you take care of it? Toggle? or is there a real underlying problem or concern. Thanks much!

• Sponsors (?)

It would be handy to know if just the under glow were disabled does this resolve the drain?

If it does, seems like a simple fix to power the under glow from a switched source.

Since this is not a factory install, you will have to trace the wire to learn how the prior owner wired everything up.

We're assuming the drain is coming from the aftermarket alarm/underglow kit (can almost guarantee it is) and not an existing condition. I'd verify by losing both for a few days (or indefinitely) and see if it still drains.

And if everything is working as intended, why do you not believe the guy at this Car Toys place?