Bbk Long Tube Headers Hitting The Ac Line On 1993 Mustang Gt

• Sponsors (?)

It's a known issue. It will burn up the AC line pretty quickly. The AC line has some flex to it, so it can be relocated. Go inside the strut tower and drill a hole higher up. Take a loop mount, hook it around the AC line, lift the line up a little bit so that it is away from the header, and attach it with a bolt and nut through the hole you drilled higher up in the strut tower.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
I’m currently relocating AC line for same reason... did it work out? Any leaking issues if you move it that much? Mine runs right along (touching) the header for 6-7 inches, and in way too close proximity the length of the head where the line is bent and “tucked” there by Ford.

My cheapo long tubes from summit clear with no problem's, but they do leak as they are slip fit on 3 of 4 tubes on pass side ,and 1 tube on drivers.

Reactions: 1 user
My cheapo long tubes from summit clear with no problem's, but they do leak as they are slip fit on 3 of 4 tubes on pass side ,and 1 tube on drivers.

I've installed a bunch of those cheapo headers. Get some high temp rtv next time and smear it on the tubes when assembling... they won't leak.

I’m currently relocating AC line for same reason... did it work out? Any leaking issues if you move it that much? Mine runs right along (touching) the header for 6-7 inches, and in way too close proximity the length of the head where the line is bent and “tucked” there by Ford.

Just realized this thread is old... but... that method posted will work. Also, they have heat shielding in the local parts stores that has velcro along the seam. Move the line and put a heat sleeve on it. You don't have to move it alot... just up and away from the header.

I've been wondering about how to handle this myself, though for routing away from my turbo and downpipe rather than the header itself...

Scott, do you have AC on your car? I really want to hook mine up again but have been holding off because I wasn't sure the best way to route it around the hot turbo stuff that's now in the way... :chin

I've been wondering about how to handle this myself, though for routing away from my turbo and downpipe rather than the header itself...

Scott, do you have AC on your car? I really want to hook mine up again but have been holding off because I wasn't sure the best way to route it around the hot turbo stuff that's now in the way... :chin

I do have AC. The line by my strut tower is sleeved in heat wrap. It hasn't blown but I'm not 100% comfortable with it. Thinking about getting some fittings and aluminum tubing and bending a new section of line. I've actually been hunting at the JY to find some with the same diameter and bends that would work. No luck yet.

Reactions: 1 user
I do have AC. The line by my strut tower is sleeved in heat wrap. It hasn't blown but I'm not 100% comfortable with it. Thinking about getting some fittings and aluminum tubing and bending a new section of line. I've actually been hunting at the JY to find some with the same diameter and bends that would work. No luck yet.
Nice! Gotcha, yeah I've been toying with the idea of either getting the crimper and learning how to make my own lines, or having custom lines made and trying to run the strut tower line through the fender well.

Did you have any issues with the routing of the high pressure line from the compressor to the condenser? That one goes right by the turbo as well but seems like it could at least be finagled a bit more towards the front/cold side of the turbo.

Do you happen to know if there are any length limitations for AC lines? Like is there a point where adding too much length would negatively impact the system?