BBK Long tube headers, questions

99FiveOh

10 Year Member
May 20, 2006
J-Ville, FL
I'm getting a great deal on a set of longtube headers, and I figured since i'm gonna be swapping in a new motor soon, I can install them then.

My question is, how much more power do they make than shorties, realistically? Sound difference?

Also, I can't seem to find a short H pipe in the Summit catalog for 94/95's that work with the 94/95 headers, what have you guys done to make it work? Can my H pipe I just bougt from Summit be modified to work with the longtubes?

I'm new to long tubes territory!

• Sponsors (?)

In all honesty :)

If talking WOT or Peak Power

LT's and Shortys will not be radically different :eek:

Where LT's really shine is on a NA application :Word:

Their longer primary tubes and true collector promote scavenging :nice:

They yield more low and mid range torque than shortys ;)

Grady

Grady hit it dead on. To get max power you'd want LTs with collectors instead of the ball system our stock exhaust and most aftermarket has, I wish I had LTs on both my cars, but ah well.... my 65 will get all the nice parts like that once she's ready to be worked on

I noticed these BBK LT's have a ball collector on them, is that a bad thing? Is there any power to be had by cutting the ball collector off and welding flanges on? Just seems redundant to design a header and defeat it's purpose by putting ball collectors on it..lol

I noticed these BBK LT's have a ball collector on them, is that a bad thing? Is there any power to be had by cutting the ball collector off and welding flanges on? Just seems redundant to design a header and defeat it's purpose by putting ball collectors on it..lol

The ball and socket collector seals much better than the old flat flange
style collector which uses a gasket

Does the b&c collector offer more restriction :scratch:

I would have to say ... YES

Then again ... For a typical Street Car NA combo at 300 or less

My gut feeling would be moving over to the flat flange collector
would only yield a handful of ponies so I don't think they hinder
such a combo too much :shrug:

Now ... If we are talking Stroker of Power Adder

Of course ... The b&c will offer more restriction

Grady

Isnt scavenging a bad thing? IIRC its when exhaust gases travel back up through the intake valve? So if they promote it wouldnt that be a down side? Or am I thinking of something else?

-Justin

I can't be sure Justin, but what you describe sound likes reversion :shrug:

Scavenging is where the exhaust pulse from one cylinder can actually
pull the e pulse from another thus helping to extract more waste
from the e system :nice:

Shortys are too short and they really don't have a collector designed
to promote scavenging :(

Grady

i notice a big difference when i went from mac shorties/h-pipe to my bbk long tubes/dr. gas x-pipe. don't have dyno proven results but SOTP meter says it was a big difference, but i'm sc'ed.

I can't be sure Justin, but what you describe sound likes reversion :shrug:

Scavenging is where the exhaust pulse from one cylinder can actually
pull the e pulse from another thus helping to extract more waste
from the e system :nice:

Shortys are too short and they really don't have a collector designed
to promote scavenging :(

Grady

Yes you are right grady. I got mixed up somehow,lol, reversion was what i was thinking of. No wonder i was confused. Well thanks for clearing that up for me!:nice:

So i should definately go with the LTs then. Now, what are all the negatives of having them? LIke what can I do to minimize the bad side effects, such as melting items close by.. Thanks for all the replies!

I just found out the LT's that are for sale are Fox ones! this is great news because from what I've read they fit better, and since I have a Fox T5 setup in my car, I don't have to worry about the clutch fork hitting the headers.

What do I do about the O2 sensors? I know they won't reach anymore, is there a good place to get extensions for them or is it easier to just cut and splice.. thanks guys...