Exhaust Bbk shorties, 3/4 or 1 inch bolts....

nickyb

I gotta say i never painted my nuts, Never Ever
15 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
nevada
I'm looking @getting new header bolts( tired of them coming loose) I 've tried some stage8 locking ones( put them on drivers side)but with headers wrapped it a real pita.
pro form has locking ones in 3/4 and 1 inch, just don't if I need the longer ones as the BBK flange is way thick.
What is all you BBK header guys using?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm running the 3/4" stage 8's on an SN95 5.0 with BBK unequal shorties for the same reason. My fear with the 1" bolts is that you'll have a hard time getting them through the flange on the inside bends of the primaries. You might want to test it first with a 1" bolt that you have laying around or pick one up at Lowe's or Home Depot first.

One suggestion: new header gaskets shrink. After I put it back together with new gaskets, I heat cycle it several times and re-tighten. Once it seems good after about three drives, then I give the bolts one last twist and put the anti-rotation clips on. This is with Fel-Pro gaskets, if you're using copper gaskets, it will probably not shrink in the same manor.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I'm running the 3/4" stage 8's on an SN95 5.0 with BBK unequal shorties for the same reason. My fear with the 1" bolts is that you'll have a hard time getting them through the flange on the inside bends of the primaries. You might want to test it first with a 1" bolt that you have laying around or pick one up at Lowe's or Home Depot first.

One suggestion: new header gaskets shrink. After I put it back together with new gaskets, I heat cycle it several times and re-tighten. Once it seems good after about three drives, then I give the bolts one last twist and put the anti-rotation clips on. This is with Fel-Pro gaskets, if you're using copper gaskets, it will probably not shrink in the same manor.
Just picked up two one inch bolts to check with from oh oh oreilly's.

i have BBK with gt40 heads and used ARP 1" bolts..if you put the 3/4 bolts thru the flange theres only like 4 threads showing..to short IMO....the 1" are for better clamping

Last edited:
Pretty sure I had 3/4” bolts with my BBK 1515 headers.

I had to go to 1” with the JBA headers (thicker flange) and AL heads.

Ideally you want at least 6 threads into whatever you are threading into. Any less runs an increased risk of stripping threads

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
I use Proform locking header bolts and they work great. I used the 1” with JBA headers and stock heads, but had to go to the 3/4” when I went to AFR heads because the 1” bottomed out.

I use Proform locking header bolts and they work great. I used the 1” with JBA headers and stock heads, but had to go to the 3/4” when I went to AFR heads because the 1” bottomed out.
I just got the pro form 1inch from Amazon , with the BBKheaders thick flange they'll do fine.

I just used the bolts flowtech provided with the 1-3/4" shorties I installed on my 87 a few months ago. I believe they are 1". So far no issues, no leaks, but I do plan on checking them soon to ensure they are still tight.