BBK Shorty Headers installed on stock H-Pipe

kowalczyk86

Apr 26, 2010
I want to install BBK Shorty headers on my stock H-pipe (89 Mustang GT).

Does anyone have any experience with this? How much modifying is involved? A couple people said to stick with the stock manifold/headers because if not, I will run into problems (leaks, etc). Any thoughts? He went on to say the car was engineered with what it has and I will have problems etc etc...

I have a friend that has installed headers before and he said that it shouldn't be a problems. Is there any welding involved?

Seems easy enough:

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/bbk-1515.pdf

• Sponsors (?)

Last time (and it's been a long long time) i tried a set of headers on a stock h pipe it leaked.
So i tightened it more, and the smaller size diameter h pipe started to crush the ball flange on the headers.

Me personally, i like starting from the back, so get a good catback, then an x pipe, then the headers.

Done BBK shorties to two cars. One equal lenght and one not. With the stock H pipe they both work just fine. The equal lengths are about a half inch wider than the unequal length bbk shorties. When you get into the aftermarket X or H pipes is when you run into issues. I would suggest going with the unequal lenghts personally. There isn't really a gain one over the other. Long tubes are the only real gain in the exahust system. With that said the stockers are good to about 300HP... Also look into the FMS headers which are a better header IMO. Also get ceramic whatever you get, anything else will look like poo in a year and rust out on you.
Kevin

Done BBK shorties to two cars. One equal lenght and one not. With the stock H pipe they both work just fine. The equal lengths are about a half inch wider than the unequal length bbk shorties. When you get into the aftermarket X or H pipes is when you run into issues. I would suggest going with the unequal lenghts personally. There isn't really a gain one over the other. Long tubes are the only real gain in the exahust system. With that said the stockers are good to about 300HP... Also look into the FMS headers which are a better header IMO. Also get ceramic whatever you get, anything else will look like poo in a year and rust out on you.
Kevin

Yeah, I already got the chrome.. Oh well. I got the equal as well..

I am sending back my chrome headers in exchange for something else (glad you all gave me the heads up). Should I just get BBK shorty ceramic or look at a different brand?

I am sending back to Summit, so that is where I will have to buy from..

I want to stay around $250-$350..

Do they sell the Ford Racing headers??

They are unequal, but they are a quality header and equal lenghts aren't worth it IMHO. Too many issues with clutch cable routing, dipstick mounting, plug wires and just big ass headers under your hood.

Yes, they do sell Ford Racing. I was actually looking at those.

At this point (from what I have read) it seems like I should go with shorty (if I go with longtube I may have issues with emissions + they are harder to install) ceramic/stainless steel unequal headers. Does that seem right?

Here is what I was thinking..

BBK Performance 15150 - BBK Shorty Headers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Ford Racing M-9430-P51 - Ford Racing Hi-Flow Shorty Headers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

(I do not see a big difference other than Ford Racing costs more)..

A direct link to all of the headers that will fit (filtered results)

No - $250-$500 - 5.0L/302 - Headers - Exhaust - MUSTANG - FORD - 1989 - SummitRacing.com

These are going to be all my choices (based on filtering):

* BBK Performance
* Hedman Hedders
* Flowtech
* PaceSetter Performance
* Summit Racing
* Hooker Headers
* JBA Headers
* Ford Racing