been awhile. need some thoughts..

82CapriRS

Dec 3, 2004
New Jersey
so the last time i went an ran my car i ran, [email protected] went 2 weeks ago an ran 13.6@101. this is with the mods i have in my sig. crappy clutch, crappy distributor thats from some 70s car, max advance doesnt kick in till about 4500. i really wanna hit 12s on stock heads an cam. i was thinkin about a msd distributor, and 1.7rr's but will that give me enough? do i have enough trap to hit 12s now with a good launch? car is about 3100lbs. and on both the passes i have a 2.1 60ft. its on nitto dr's that apparently are really old, or im just not use to em. what you guys think? what would thumper ported E7's do for me?, id like to keep the sleeper look. and spray is in the near future. i'd just really like to hit 12s on motor, preferably on stock heads/cam. thanks in advance guys!!

• Sponsors (?)

If you want to try getting into the 12's with stock heads you would need to do some work to them, you can do it with the stock cam. some porting and better valves, 1.6 or 1.7r.r., a ported lower intake and make sure your carb is tuned right, get a better clutch and work on your 60ft. times and you might make the 12 mark. 25thmustang has milled E7's and minor bolt ons an has run some stout times, it is totally possible with stock stuff you just need to work it a little.

Your not far off as it is...most will tell you 3/10 off your 60' time will give you about 5/10 (a half a second) off your ET. So I say replace the clutch with a quality aftermarket unit, work on your 60 foot times and give it hell. With a 1.8 60 foot time you'll be damn close IMO

Hey, you know you need a new clutch. You can replace that with out disassembling the motor so start there and run it again.

It said you went 13.6 @ 175 on the board. lol I dont know how you ran 13.6 and then ran 14.0 for the rest of the night. I think the 13.6 pass was messed up in the computer. I don't know how you pick up 3-4 tenths out of no where without touching the car and having the same 60 foots.

agreed on the last post,clocks were all messed up that night,said my buddy went 11.2 at 375mph on his bike haha,.........deff not right.the car would only run that much better of a time if something decent was changed on it or tuning was done or weight loss was done,something like that,because with the same so called mph and same 60ft time then obviously the run wouldnt change at all if nothing else was changed.

i think its going to be tough but i think you might be able to get lower 13's out of it... with your trap speeds your definately gonna have to see lower 60 ft times to get that et down.... put some sticky tires on that thing... as for 12's, i think you need to get a little more power to attain that more easily...

It said you went 13.6 @ 175 on the board. lol I dont know how you ran 13.6 and then ran 14.0 for the rest of the night. I think the 13.6 pass was messed up in the computer. I don't know how you pick up 3-4 tenths out of no where without touching the car and having the same 60 foots.

it didnt say a trap, either way, i ran 13.6 that night, an my car then started to overheat. an still does run hot because my rad is leaking. just noticed that. as for pickin up 4 tenths, its deff possible. i still havent figured out why the 60fts suck, might be me, might be that the dr's i have are jsut beat. idk to be honest. i ran a 13.9 2 weeks before that. so pickin up 3 tenths is possible. no need to get salty ha.

MAC'n89Blckstng, some people think i have spray, they might be right, might be wrong. im not sayin anything. is my trap wrong too? the clocks must have been messed up when i ran that time too ha

agreed on the last post,clocks were all messed up that night,said my buddy went 11.2 at 375mph on his bike haha,.........deff not right.the car would only run that much better of a time if something decent was changed on it or tuning was done or weight loss was done,something like that,because with the same so called mph and same 60ft time then obviously the run wouldnt change at all if nothing else was changed.

actually somethin did change. like every gear ration in my trans, its now a 4cyl. either way. if everyone ran the same exact run every time because they didnt tune there car or whatever the case may be, everyone would be bracket racing an making mad money. just becuz my 60 ft didnt change doesnt mean i cant run better. b4 it would take longer to get into 2nd, an gear ratios are different. so you an jesse sit here an say 3 tenths is completely out of the question? lol. that makes sense,..almost. you try different things, some nights it runs better which could easily be a tenth right there. if you think for a second you could make sense out of it.

Well here is the thing... You can tell what your run should be. I assume you went to Etown?

Grab the timeslips from that night. Compare ALL the numbers, 60', 330, 1/8th, 1000 ft etc... This way you will know if there was an issue. I know Etown has in the past had leaves blow through and cause timing issues. Happened to me dad and my brother. If the timeslips all line up other than the 1/4 time, theres a good chance it was a fluke. Take it from me, I have a 111.5 mph pass in my car, and although I have it listed, I tell everyone I think it was a scoreboard error.

As for going 12s on stock heads (My heads are not milled by the way, my brothers are) it's been done hundreds of times. It takes traction or power, or a combo of both. A 225 rwhp fox will need a hard launch on sticky tires and some bang up driving to do it (Ive seen 12.7 @ 105 from my friend at Atco with that power). A 250 rwhp fox will need a sticky tire and some good driving but obviousely far less. A 300 rwhp fox should be knocking down 12s on street rubber.

i only ran 3 times the night i ran 13.66, so...when i got home. i compared time slips. nothing is far off as far as 1/8th mile an whatnot go. so i think its possible i ran it. but to call it on the safe side, i ran 13.9@101 before that an there was no problems with anything. i have the slip. an i trapped the same mph twice in a row, then called it quits an went home. so 13.9@101 with a 2.19 60 ft. would it be safe to say a tenth for every tenth of my 60? if that were the case the car as it sits would be lower 13s. from what ive seen an heard it was more likely every tenth off your 60, would be 2 tenths at the end of the track, provided you kept it goin an didnt miss a shift or anything like that. my car has to be able to run atleast a 1.8 60 ft on slicks id imagine. so that would be 6-8 tenths. so id be pretty close to 12s. i think its safe to say that me runnin 13.6 is not out of the question. im still waitin for my radiator, distributor and roller rockers. at that point my trap is deff gonna go up, not sayin its gonna go up several mph but the car will be more solid, no hesitations or anything.

Going by these "rules" never makes you happy. My guess is with a 1.8 60' time and 101 mph... 13.3 - 13.5. I went 13.2s @ 101 with a high 1.7 60' time years ago, and my dad with 1.8s was going 13.3s @ 101. To crack off a 12 anything with 101 mph traps takes the perfect pass...

Only one way to tell though. Head to Etown November 2nd and run the car. I'm going and running 2 classes that day!

yeah i was thinkin 13.4 - 13.5 on a pass with a decent 60ft. i think with couple more lil add ons i can get 12s. no heads or cam, a tune on the carb, 1.7rr's and distributor might get me there. but like you said, only one way to find out. i just have a goal to hit 12s or damn close to it b4 i put heads an cam on. a few short weeks an we will find out. as for goin to e-town, no can do...gotta get rad an put it in, and i work wierd hrs, and gotta fix the gf's car. i do wanna run there though, i have only run at island and its not the best track lol