bellhousing

65ebd65

Dec 26, 2009
Will a truck bellhousing for a 302 fit behind a 66 289?
They are both 6 bolts. The bellhousing casting number starts with a C5 and is out of a 1970 ford pickup. Its going in a 65 mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

any 6 bolt bell housing for small block fords will interchange, be it for a 289, 302, 351w, or 351c. even the flywheel/flexplates interchange. however the bell housings come in two flavors, 157 tooth and 164 tooth designs. this is the tooth count on the flexplate/flywheel.

Will a truck bellhousing for a 302 fit behind a 66 289?
They are both 6 bolts. The bellhousing casting number starts with a C5 and is out of a 1970 ford pickup. Its going in a 65 mustang.

If it's a truck bell, it's going to be a 164 tooth bell. So you'lll need the bell, block plate, & 164 tooth flywheel to make it all work. And you'll loose some transmission tunnel clearance with the larger bell. Also going to make header selection more critical. Most Mustang headers don't work with the bigger bell.

Its a C5TA-6394-A according to this site it is for a 351 boss
Bellhousings
Found this site and it seems like a good place for checking Ford casting numbers. I checked it with the 289 flex plate I had and it match up perfectly.
D.Hearne Thanks for the header info I will fit the bell for header clearance, before installing the toploader.

Its a C5TA-6394-A according to this site it is for a 351 boss
Bellhousings
Found this site and it seems like a good place for checking Ford casting numbers. I checked it with the 289 flex plate I had and it match up perfectly.
D.Hearne Thanks for the header info I will fit the bell for header clearance, before installing the toploader.

Yes, the C5TA was used on some 69-71 Mustangs. It's origin, though, the "C5T", which means 1965 truck. And he needs to use matching parts, which will make it work.