Belt Tensioner Range Indicator Moves After Car Runs.

5point0dude

Sep 5, 2007
So I'm still trying to figure out my screeching/squealing noise when the car starts up. I thought I'd try a shorter belt just to see if it would make a difference, the screech was still there, but a little quieter. I did notice that when I put the belt on the arrow on the range indicator was a little left from the middle, so definitely within range. I started the car, let it run for a few minutes, then turned it off. I looked at the indicator again and the arrow was now on the opposite side towards the right. I was wondering, is the tensioner spring worn out? I tried three different belts on, a 91", 90.5", and a 90", and the tensioner did the same thing every time.

• Sponsors (?)

When the car is running, do you see the tensioner and/or idler pulley bobbing around more than a little? Is the little nub on the back of the tensioner there and seated in hole in the bracket. Is the square hole on the front flange of the tensioner rounded out. Like any other moving part, the tensioners do wear out though and if it won't stay withing range will need replacing.