Belt tensioner spring apparently broke.....

kb2fzq

Sep 6, 2004
.....and now I've got to replace it on my 2000 3.8L 'Stang....I've searched EVERWHERE, and have found a liteny of info that doesn't seem to coincide as far as accuracy....so some questions for you pros....
What I think I know, is that the center tensioner assembly bolt is a T-50 torx, is that right? I've read that it's a standard threaded bolt, lefty-loosey, is that correct?
I've "delacately" attempted to turn that bolt after spraying with PB blaster, with little luck...someone mentioned, get the block to operating temperature and the bolt would "easily" come out....not so much for me...the brand new T-50 torx does not fit snuggly in the star bolt, which makes me wonder if that info is right, or if I can even buy a T-51....just slightly larger...or is it a Ford specific socket?
Does anyone have any advise to help me get that bolt out without...well, SNAP? :Damnit:

• Sponsors (?)

Umm.. I know this is an old post but I thought I would add a bit here. First... I don't know..second.long ago I tried all sorts of stuff and now.. I've had a bolt inside the tensioner assembly that's STUCK in there because all the grooves are stripped out. Nothing to grab on to. Its what happened when I tried to turn it. I Thought it was a normal LEFTY LOOSSY but that DID NOT work. Messed it up a bit .. So tried the other direction and nope not a chance. So I took a T55 and .. you guessed it, cut it down so it would fit slug and tight. Did it work? NOPE. Messed up the bolt even more. So yeahhh.. it's stuck in there and I dont have a clue which way it turns. Sorry man.