benefits of aftermarket clutch quadrant

dastang2

Dec 11, 2003
tx
hello, what are the benefits of using an aftermarket quadrant. i know they don't flex. but i am looking for something that will enhance my clutch engagement/disengagement noticably. i heard using the middle hook on the steeda quadrant will help me or using the upr's added hook will also. do i need an adjuster at the firewall if i get a different quadrant. are there any benefits using a single hook metal quadrant.

• Sponsors (?)

I only like using single-hooks but that's just me. As you said, the aftermarket stuff is metal so it's more robust. But because you lose the adjustability of the stock quadrant/pawl, you need the FWA you mentioned (or run a *quality* aftermarket cable - I had very good luck with an old-school SVO single-hook quad and Ford adjustable cable, for instance).

Steeda has two hooks IIRC (no middle hook) and the extra hook on the triple hook quads is generally pretty useless unless there's something strange in your set-up.

As far as parts choices, MM and Fiore have some decent stuff as well.

Good luck.

Yes you will need either an adjustable cable or firewall adjuster to go with the quadrant. Any of the name brands should be decent stuff.

Also another plus to ditching the stock crap is that if you ever need to change the cable, it is much much easier with the aluminum adjustable stuff. To change a cable with the stock set-up, it takes about 3 hands under the dash. This may be no big deal to some but once you start some serious modding , power, heavy duty cluthes and/or whatever else, changing cables is a normal thing. The first time you have to change it out, it paid for itself.

To change a cable with the stock set-up, it takes about 3 hands under the dash. This may be no big deal to some but once you start some serious modding , power, heavy duty cluthes and/or whatever else, changing cables is a normal thing. The first time you have to change it out, it paid for itself.

Bold = what kind of alien friends do you have. :rlaugh: :cheers:

well i picked up a bbk quadrant at a mustang speed shop in south houston today for 20 bucks. if you live in houston, go to strictly performance. the guy there is an awsome person and he will hook you up.

no it's a bbk quadrant that i got today. i am not going to get any type of adjustable cable, only firewall adjuster.

Yeah i'm sure the quadrant is fine....i mean really, if it's made of aluminum, i really can't see ANY quadrant sucking more than the stocker. As for cables though, i haven't heard one good story about any aftermarket cable, adjustable or not. The real deal Ford cable lasts well over 100k miles. With a FWA you'll be set. I haven't tried that pedal height adjuster on my car but i've heard great things about them. If you're a taller guy then it's really nice since your knee isn't up to the steering wheel when you let out the clutch.