Benefits?

DKVL

Oct 12, 2008
I was wondering if there are any benefits in just upgrading the 4.6 V8 stock heads to the trick flow V2 when available? I dont plan on upgrading the cams due to the harsher smog check law.

If there are benefits, what are the benefits in just switching the heads? What can i see as a horse power gain and torque by keeping the stock cam and using the trick flow 2V heads?

• Sponsors (?)

umm i believe there are benifits or the heads would just be a stock replacement, as far as how much no one really knows yet because no one has them. id wait to see a few peoples dyno # before purchasing. but i believe i have heard 70-80hp :shrug:

I was wondering if there are any benefits in just upgrading the 4.6 V8 stock heads to the trick flow V2 when available? I dont plan on upgrading the cams due to the harsher smog check law.
If there are benefits, what are the benefits in just switching the heads? What can i see as a horse power gain and torque by keeping the stock cam and using the trick flow 2V heads?
There is no reason not to get the cams. The cams will allow everything to perform better.

you could put the new heads on and see an improvment in performance because they flow alot better, but if you're gonna spend the 2g's on the heads then why wouldn't you spend the extra money for the cams? :shrug: it just doesnt make much sense to spend that kind of money and do that kind of job and not finish it "correctly."

WEll, with upgraded cams, i run the chance of not passing the smog check here in california. Unless i understood this incorrectly, cams actually cause people to fail right?

WEll, with upgraded cams, i run the chance of not passing the smog check here in california. Unless i understood this incorrectly, cams actually cause people to fail right?

Like I said earlier, MOST people can get by with ported heads, stage 1 cams, and a stock H pipe in CA. The cams really let the engine breathe. While you are in there, you might as well install some aftermarket cams. You will see WAY better HP gains. The Trick Flow heads are "the newest" ported 4.6 heads though; I would wait a while for others to test them out. They could have problems, or the power gains might not be so great, you never know. I like MPH, MMR, or Fox Lake heads:nice:.

Like I said earlier, MOST people can get by with ported heads, stage 1 cams, and a stock H pipe in CA. The cams really let the engine breathe. While you are in there, you might as well install some aftermarket cams. You will see WAY better HP gains. The Trick Flow heads are "the newest" ported 4.6 heads though; I would wait a while for others to test them out. They could have problems, or the power gains might not be so great, you never know. I like MPH, MMR, or Fox Lake heads:nice:.

Thank you! I was wondering, which Stage 1 cams do you recommend (sorry but i am not sure if there are different stage 1 cams)?

I am pretty much trying to see what I will do and begin saving the money for it. Otherwise, random planning is tough.

The Trick Flow Heads about to be released are not simply ported PI heads. They are completely redesigned and still have the ability to be ported. They are a better design than the PI heads hence them flowing better. But still have the ability to be ported.

Not knocking Fox Lake, they do good work, but all they do is take the PI head do a valve job and port them.

The Trick Flow is an entirely different Head than the PI head.

Really? is that a legit ? or are u just poking fun...... Not trying to be a jerk but u have ur mods listed in ur sig like u have a clue, but u've been asking some crazy arse questions the past few days.....

To answer ur question, ported means someone or thing (cnc) has been in the the heads intake/exhaust runners and bowls to grind and shape them to a more power friendly shape. They usually do a valve job (bigger better flowing valves) while they are in there.

You may want to think about buying a few performance books and doing some major reading if ur serious about modding a car. I hate to say it, but u've got a long way to go before you should consider buying ANYTHING else for ur car. You need to figure out what ur goals are and what ur budget or skill level with a wrench is.

Or better yet, spend a few days reading all the articles u can to give u an idea of what u want... Just don't become an internet/magazine racer.... Someone who only knows what they read and nothing from first hand experience.....

Really? is that a legit ? or are u just poking fun...... Not trying to be a jerk but u have ur mods listed in ur sig like u have a clue, but u've been asking some crazy arse questions the past few days.....

To answer ur question, ported means someone or thing (cnc) has been in the the heads intake/exhaust runners and bowls to grind and shape them to a more power friendly shape. They usually do a valve job (bigger better flowing valves) while they are in there.

You may want to think about buying a few performance books and doing some major reading if ur serious about modding a car. I hate to say it, but u've got a long way to go before you should consider buying ANYTHING else for ur car. You need to figure out what ur goals are and what ur budget or skill level with a wrench is.

Or better yet, spend a few days reading all the articles u can to give u an idea of what u want... Just don't become an internet/magazine racer.... Someone who only knows what they read and nothing from first hand experience.....

Hey Squeak93 thank you for your response. Yes, it is legit and no, I am not poking fun. No, you are not a jerk and by that, you are far from it. I really don't have a lot of clue with most of the modifications that I read and searched about on here and other Mustang Sites.

I don't mind people making fun of me or think that I am dumb when I ask questions. I got to start somewhere and learn as I go. I just hope I don't inadvertently annoy/piss off anyone by being mustang naive. I have always wanted to do modifications to my cars, but I never really got the chance to. With that said, I never really modified the 350Z before either, but always wanted to. Unfortunately, my dumb, idiot of a cousin crashed it and so I have her brother's 2002 Mustang GT now. I love the torque by the way.

The only thing I have actually added to my mustang are the Bilstein Struts and Shocks. The reason I changed the struts and shocks out was because the stocks were either shot or just too soft for me. My 350Z rode a lot firmer and I was searching for the same kind of ride. With Bilsteins installed, the GT rides like a champ.

The rest of the add on's were added by my cousin. He stopped adding modifications after I was ready to kick his butt in court and relinquish his ownership to the Mustang GT. If anyone was wondering, I went after him and his sister because they took my 350Z out without my permission.

My goals for my Mustang GT is to have around 300HP at wheel. I rather not go with Nitrous or Supercharger. I was looking more into heads and cams (as long as I can pass smog check in CA without any problem).

I am looking into the Trick Flow 2V heads because I believe it is already ported and the speifications seems to be one of the better one's out there available to us with 2V engines. I won't know until someone tests them out though. I think I understood this correctly that heads wont play as big of a factor in passing smog check. This was after talking to Ken B and Chris at Modular Depot. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I was under the impression that modifications to the cams would not be smog check friendly, but people have been passing the CA smog check with Stage 1 Cams. By the way, what do the Stage 1, Stage 2, and Stage 3 cams mean and how are they different from each other?

I really have no skills with the Wrench, but I was able to change out my own struts and shocks last week after a lot of research and careful planning. I know its not hard, but for first timers like me, it took a long time.

Finally, any books or magazines that you can recommend me to read? I really don't know where to start, but I have tried to read up at Barnes and Nobles though.

I do apologize to everyone for asking some questions that seems out there or down right stupid. I rather understand each of the potential mods first than to rush out get parts and find out I screw up somewhere or worst yet, buy something that is not CA legal.

Thank you to all! By the way, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Drive safe and travel safe.

~DKVL

it remains to be seen what, if any effect the new heads will have on a stock engine.

my guess would be that there will be a loss of torque below 2500rpm. from 2500rpm to 5000rpm a modest increase in torque, maybe 15-20ft/lbs. and maybe an extra peak 10-15hp up top. it's tough to say because the stock cams were not designed with an extra 80cfm of intake flow in mind.

The Trick Flow Heads about to be released are not simply ported PI heads. They are completely redesigned and still have the ability to be ported. They are a better design than the PI heads hence them flowing better. But still have the ability to be ported.

Not knocking Fox Lake, they do good work, but all they do is take the PI head do a valve job and port them.

The Trick Flow is an entirely different Head than the PI head.

The exhaust valve was swapped (now located where the exhaust lash adjuster was) which allows higher lift cams on stock short blocks. Also, the cam towers bolt on. They flow really well (240cfm) too. However, like I said before, I would wait for a few months for people to test the waters with these heads. As with all new products, it takes a while for them to be perfected. Plus in my situation, these heads aren't available to PA motors yet, only NA.

Look at comp cams web site for info on cams. They also have very knowledgeable people on their cam help hotline. Basically stage one is a very mild upgrade from stock while stage 3-4 usually require a built motor with tons of work to get the most from them... ie... Bigger numbers, bigger/more aggressive cams. Look into stuff from fox lake or even patriot heads. they are the best bang for the buck. As far as emissions, I don't know. I live in a non emission state so i don't know anything on that. Maybe a few fellow cali peps can chime on what they did. Obviously ur going to have to leave ur cats on or go high flow at the most. The heads shouldn't effect as much as cams do but heads will be worthless w/o some sort of cam. You may have to look into custom grind cams. Which i think comp can help u with as well. If not a little research with google and u'll find a co that does custom grind cams.

And I wasn't calling u out. Just seen too many other times on forums where guys come in and play coy and ask a ton of ?'s only to start flaming those for the answers.

Look online at a few large distributor sites (I'll pm u so we don't get this locked up) and find the book section. Should be a few different books on mod motors and most have pics and stuff to help u understand.

You can learn a lot from reading but will retain more if you do it yourself. Even if you have to pay a shop to do it, ask them if you can be there when they work on it so u can learn and see what all happens. We all have learned by doing.

Look at comp cams web site for info on cams. They also have very knowledgeable people on their cam help hotline. Basically stage one is a very mild upgrade from stock while stage 3-4 usually require a built motor with tons of work to get the most from them... ie... Bigger numbers, bigger/more aggressive cams. Look into stuff from fox lake or even patriot heads. they are the best bang for the buck. As far as emissions, I don't know. I live in a non emission state so i don't know anything on that. Maybe a few fellow cali peps can chime on what they did. Obviously ur going to have to leave ur cats on or go high flow at the most. The heads shouldn't effect as much as cams do but heads will be worthless w/o some sort of cam. You may have to look into custom grind cams. Which i think comp can help u with as well. If not a little research with google and u'll find a co that does custom grind cams.

And I wasn't calling u out. Just seen too many other times on forums where guys come in and play coy and ask a ton of ?'s only to start flaming those for the answers.

Look online at a few large distributor sites (I'll pm u so we don't get this locked up) and find the book section. Should be a few different books on mod motors and most have pics and stuff to help u understand.

You can learn a lot from reading but will retain more if you do it yourself. Even if you have to pay a shop to do it, ask them if you can be there when they work on it so u can learn and see what all happens. We all have learned by doing.

I'm not sure if anyone in cali can pass smog with Stage IIs and heads. However, I have heard of people passing with stage I cams and heads. But I agree, stock cams with ported heads in pointless, you might as well upgrade the cams while you are in there.

Thank you everyone who responded. I will have to search out my options.

Those of you who passed smog check with Stage one cams, which brand did you guys use though?

I saw the numbers my friends car had at the tailpipes with ported heads and stage one comp cams and they passed with flying colors. It was in the bottom ten percent of the allowable range. It does take a custom tune though. I went to speedfreaks in tracy, ca. Also with my procharger and the stock h pipe swaped back on my emissions are about as low as you can get so dont rule out forced induction, boost is wonderfull.