Engine Bent my valves ?

SmokeytheFox

5 Year Member
Jul 19, 2018
Cleveland,Ohio
I adjusted my valves too tight and foolishly been driving the car the past few days. When I went back to readjust the valves properly I noticed that #5 exhaust valve pushrod was bent. Replaced the pushrod and now when I set the rocker to zero lash I can’t torque the poly lock to 18lbs. The rest of the rockers reach spec within 1/2 turn after zero lash except for this one. I tried shimming it and it still doesn’t reach spec. Even tried 1 1/2 turn ( I know that’s too much) just to see and still couldn’t hit 18lbs.

I noticed that the exhaust rocker sits slightly lower than the intake rocker, it’s not perfectly inline like the other rockers. Did I bend a valve or maybe ruin a lifter by having the rockers super tight ?

• Sponsors (?)

If the valve was hanging open you could have bent it. The valve guide could also be damaged. I'd do a compression test...or a air leak down test by putting the cylinder at bottom dead center and putting air in the cylinder. If you hear air in the exhaust the exhaust valve is bad, intake and the intake valve is bad, oil fill hole and rings are bad.