best 1971 -1973 exhaust system kits for 302W

v8roadwarrior

Sep 11, 2009
Hello all,

Trying to line up projects as I finish some others here and am opening this line of questions on exhaust system kits.

I have 2 1971 Mustangs, one a convert, and want to install dual exhaust on both. Both currently have factory iron manifolds on Windsor engines with single exhaust.

Who has bought a kit and from where, and were you happy with the fit? Anyone use a kit on a convert with the floor torque plate? Also, has anyone use one of the somewhat generic Mustang kits from Summit Racing?

I have heard that the Summit kits for 71-73 may not have the correct location for the inlet/outlet on the mufflers unless one specifies this. I am also curious if the Summit mid-pipes are bent in such a way to come up into the tunnel to clear that plate mounted under/between the seats that stiffens the underbody on a convertible?

pic of plate under car:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...e/IMG_4846.jpg

Any input is appreciated, even if you installed a system for a larger motor. So far the best original style kit appears to be from NPD, made by the shop out in Kentucky I think, but I would like any input if someone wants to chime in.

Thank you,
Tom

• Sponsors (?)

Several years ago Glazier Nolan worked with Motive to create the never-made 71-73 302 dual exhaust. The pipes they already made, but the 302 H pipe was the hard part. The system is stock, which means it allows for such things as convertible center plate.

Most places will tell you there's no such thing as an H pipe for stock iron manifold 302 71-73, but there is. Ford never make it, but GN didn't see that as an obstacle.

Hello 2+2GT

Motive, that's the company! Not Kentucky but Connecticut! Their systems are supposed to be available out here in California at NPD. That is the non-stock 302 duals that you are referring to? Looks like that is the direction I need to go so it will fit the best.

Anyone install one of these systems on their 71-73 car?

Thank you,
Tom

Hello 2+2GT

Motive, that's the company! Not Kentucky but Connecticut! Their systems are supposed to be available out here in California at NPD. That is the non-stock 302 duals that you are referring to? Looks like that is the direction I need to go so it will fit the best.

Anyone install one of these systems on their 71-73 car?

I have seen it at Glazier Nolan, who also sells Motive systems.

The Pypes kit will not be on the market until the end of the year. I spoke with them yesterday and they are still working out the bends over the axel, as they have a clearance issue with the fuel gauge sender at the tank in applications with staggered shocks.

Which One for My New 351W?

I just got my new 351W in my '72 Mustang. It's a pretty mild, flat tappet build. It's bolted up to the old exhaust manifolds right now, but I'm planning on getting some Hedman headers next. What do you all think about the 2 1/4" Motive Industries vs. 2 1/2" Pypes exhaust?

Attachments

• 17345_226863777864_634827864_3076838_5703258_n.jpg
    17345_226863777864_634827864_3076838_5703258_n.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 302
  • 14340_179065607864_634827864_2776965_344786_n.jpg
    14340_179065607864_634827864_2776965_344786_n.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 273
Nice! I put a 400+ horsepower 351w into ,my 72 fastback with a 4spd. Try headaders seems to work pretty good but haven't done a really nice exhaust yet. Even without knowing your whole combo I know that car will haul a**. Let me know what you use for headers and exhaust. Good luck and keep us 71- 73 guys posted.

Have not worked too much on this since posting before... Got wrapped up in my wifes lay-off, my work, the wife getting a new job and going back to work, and the approaching due date of our new daughter (she's here now!!!).

aweedman,
I have decided to go with a Motive kit from NPD for my 71 Vert. Called Motive and spoke with guys there, they said that both sizes (2 and 2-1/4) will fit my 71 Vert with no issues, so that's probably the way I will go for that car. I will be driving up to Ventura to get the kits directly from NPD. The said they will let me compare the bigger 351 C dual y-pipe with the smaller 302W dual unit to see if I can cut and paste the bigger pipe onto a 302W for my Vert and run the larger exhaust. I plan on getting the bigger system for both cars, just dont want to have to run the smaller diam y-pipe if I can help it. I have spoken with a few other companies, even have a friend working for Magnaflow in Oceanside, and either they don't make a 71-73 system (no market), or it may not/won't fit a Vert. So I will go with more costly repro stuff for the Vert. I also may go with a Summit 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 inch kit for the FB with a Motive y-pipe.

72 Fastback
As my FB is a 351W/4 speed car, I did not have luck in the past finding any affordable (not super custom costly) headers for a Windsor that would clear the clutch linkages. What headers are you running and may I ask what they cost?

Thanks everyone,
Tom

Hi aweedman,

your motor looks anything but mild to me! Alum heads are nice!

I got the motor for my FB from a wrecked 71 coupe. It was originally a 302W/C4 car that had a 351W bolted in. They later added <some-kind-of-brand> headers, which didn't work with my 4 speed setup, so I let them go. Finding headers that would work and don't break the bank would make a nice exhaust system for my FB easier to attain.

Tom

Just wondering what kind of headers you got to clear the Zbar. I just bought some JBA1650 headers for my 71 fastback with a 5.0L and 4 speed. The headers flange hits dead center on the Zbar. Called a few other places to try something else, but they all say none will work with that setup. Now I am in the process of installing a hydraulic clutch setup. Nobody makes a hydraulic setup or a cable setup for 71/73 that I can find.

The old try-y headers will work with a 351w even with a 4spd. toploder in a 71-73 mustang. I have them on my ride. I had to put a small ding in the driver to clear the power steering box, otherwise it may hit when power is applied. They don't clear on passenger side with a 164 tooth flyweel with a 302 but work with the 351w since it is a taller block and makes it wider.

SFM04

By the way - I just called Pypes and the SFM04 system for the 71 - 73 is available. Although I think 2 1/4 would be fine with my engine, I don't think I want the Flowmasters that come with the Motive Industry system. With the Pypes, the Race Pro mufflers are the straight through design like the Magnaflows.

It will be a few months before I save up the dollars for the headers and the exhaust system but will post back up here once it's installed.

Update on the exhaust.

I bought the Hedman 88656 and Pypes SFM04. When I called Pypes the tech line person told me this combination would work. The only issue he mentioned was that since the Hedman's use a ball and socket connector, I'd have to use the right reducer.

The headers went on great. Unfortunately the angle of the headers don't match up with the angle of the downpipe for the exhaust. My mechanic called their tech line and now they say that their exhaust will only match up with 50% of the headers out there. It sounds like he gave kind of an a**h*le attitude to them.

Anyway, I'm going to have to get the downpipes that came with the set bent to match up. It's not a huge deal I guess but I just want to make everyone aware that this combo will not work out of the box.

an update after all this time...

Soooo, after a great amount of time away from this project, much angst at work, my wife going back to work and her job getting bad, me installing a new motor in one of my Monte Carlos, even more angst at work for me, and then my family shipping 5 corvairs to a friend in Nebraska, I have finally gotten it together and decided on a resto exhaust system from NPD for a 71 302 equipped car. This system is complete front to back and should be about $380 shipped to my door. I get the fun of install...

Anyone ever use one of these resto systems on their cars? Any input on positives or problems with this system?

I will be ordering soon, and will let everyone know how it goes on the Vert.

Best to all,
Tom

I've always found that for the money, unless you are going to weld them up yourself, or want a particular look, it's faster/cheaper/easier to have a set custom done at a local shop. You bring the mufflers you want, and it seems to run about four hundred for 2 1/2 inch pipe, all the way out in my area...