Best clutch cable replacement

• Sponsors (?)

I had an OEM (edit - cable) with a new clutch Install
And kept the pre installed firewall adjuster and metal clutch quadrant. They all will stretch and break eventually, so asking for recommendations will at least give a shot at longer life. The best advice I have for this and speedometer cables is to route them carefully so the exhaust does not get them hot.

Last edited:
I can't think of a product Maximum Motorsports sells that isn't a home run for quality and improvement over factory.
I totally agree. Those guys know what they're doing and provide very high quality stuff for the most part.

The only exception I've found has been their firewall adjuster. They included one in their clutch cable kit when I picked it up years ago. Their adjuster had no stop of any kind, not even a set-screw (set screw stops are terrible anyways), so it probably wouldn't hold it's setting for very long. I was kind of surprised by this oversight because their quadrant is the best one on the market and very well designed. Maybe that particular item was outsourced or limited by a patent. In any case, it's not worth the money and not usable without some home modifications. This is why I recommend UPR for the adjusters since they have some really nice options (e.g. wider flange, jam ring lock, click-lock retention mechanism, different color options if you want that...).

I totally agree. Those guys know what they're doing and provide very high quality stuff for the most part.

The only exception I've found has been their firewall adjuster. They included one in their clutch cable kit when I picked it up years ago. Their adjuster had no stop of any kind, not even a set-screw (set screw stops are terrible anyways), so it probably wouldn't hold it's setting for very long. I was kind of surprised by this oversight because their quadrant is the best one on the market and very well designed. Maybe that particular item was outsourced or limited by a patent. In any case, it's not worth the money and not usable without some home modifications. This is why I recommend UPR for the adjusters since they have some really nice options (e.g. wider flange, jam ring lock, click-lock retention mechanism, different color options if you want that...).
Hmm. That's odd. I think that is worth a phone call to their tech team.

After 25 years, I think I have had every single one of them. My favorite is the BBK. It has a shorter bracket for more clearance like headers and stuff. I think I have Steeda in there now, but I re used the BBK bracket. It works fine too.

The only one I ever had to send back was the Maximum Motorsports. It was about a foot too long. No idea what was going on there, but it definitely wasn't going to fit.

Kurt

The only one I ever had to send back was the Maximum Motorsports. It was about a foot too long. No idea what was going on there, but it definitely wasn't going to fit.

Kurt

I had that issue with my mm cable as well.. I called them thinking I ordered a cable for a newer car but they told me they were the same and to just use it without the bracket. So I did and never did have a problem function wise but it was a little more noticeable inside the engine bay