best day ever!!!

this could be the greatest day of my life...my dad is on his way to pick me up to go to the dealer and purchase the 2001 black convertible cobra that i have been eyeing for weeks. i just needed someone to share my joy with. i'll post pics when i get it.

• Sponsors (?)

You can run 87 if the car starts to knock the knock sensor should retard ur timing. My dad runs 87 in his M3 with no problems, but he is leasing and hates the cars so..... If you love ur car treat it like you would your girl firend.

Please don't put 87 octane in your cobra. If you want to get good gas mileage and not pay for 91 or 93 octane buy a focus. Suck it up and put the highest octane you can (just not race gas) in your new baby, she'll thank you.

IH8RICE2 said:
Please don't put 87 octane in your cobra. If you want to get good gas mileage and not pay for 91 or 93 octane buy a focus. Suck it up and put the highest octane you can (just not race gas) in your new baby, she'll thank you.

If it says to put 87 in it, put 87 in it. There is absolutely no added benefit to running a higher octane than the manufacturer calls for unless your car is tuned for it. If your car is supposed to take 87 and it pings on 87, then either the gas poor in quality, or there is something wrong with the engine. I'm pretty sure the N/A cobra's run on 87. Anything more than that and you will only spend more money. It will not increase gas mileage or performance.

Dragstr05 said:
If it says to put 87 in it, put 87 in it. There is absolutely no added benefit to running a higher octane than the manufacturer calls for unless your car is tuned for it. If your car is supposed to take 87 and it pings on 87, then either the gas poor in quality, or there is something wrong with the engine. I'm pretty sure the N/A cobra's run on 87. Anything more than that and you will only spend more money. It will not increase gas mileage or performance.

4V engines are high compression and require at least 91 octane.

I had a Lincoln Mark 8 with a 4.6L DOHC and lent it to someone who put 87 in it. It ran like absolute crap. There are knock sensors that reduce timing to prevent damage, but you'll lose a lot of HP. Running 87 is recommended only as a temporary measure. This is stated in the manual. 91/93 only for all forms of the DOHC motor if you want true performance

mustangcam said:
ya i try to keep it around 2000 to start...i can do it but its kinda bumpy. haha. my friends were givin me so much crap but none of them can drive a manual or have a car as fast as mine so i shut them up.

2000 is way too much. Try to stay under 1500 for starters. WHen you get better, you don't want to go over 1000RPM (unless racing or showing off to hear the exhaust)

When you get really good, you will be able to do it without even having to rev up.