Drivetrain best drag trans?

looking for a full racing trans for my 86 fox, turbo 408w, 1400-1500 horse MAX, basically between FTI and ATI, but would a th400 or a powerglide/supercase proglide be the better option? right now im specifically on an FTI TH400-5UB. can anyone offer some advice or tips?

• Sponsors (?)

Glide if that's what floats your boat. Easy to get the car to hook up on launch, and isn't a hp eater like a 400 and usually can be found used as well. SFI cases and a multitude of parts are available too.

Besides the not puking guys part, why would two forward gears be better than three for a drag race transmission? I picture being in the peak area of the power band more should be helpful.
Top fuel and funny cars are a different story than most Mustang engines, although it sounds like wikkedturbo408 is approaching those levels.

Besides the not puking guys part, why would two forward gears be better than three for a drag race transmission? I picture being in the peak area of the power band more should be helpful.
Top fuel and funny cars are a different story than most Mustang engines, although it sounds like wikkedturbo408 is approaching those levels.
The day a 408 windsor approaches 8000 hp is the day somebody dropped a nuclear bomb down the intake.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
You mean he’s not running plutonium methane fuel already? :lol:
Two speed automatics are 50’s snd 60’s tech. Isn’t there a good 3 gear solution by now?
Not really.

It comes down to the TH400 and C6, both of which are heavy as hell, and power hogs. The C6 is also hard to find with a Windsor bell (they have integrated bells) and requires external safety measures at OP's power levels.

The 'glide is just... better.

Not really.

It comes down to the TH400 and C6, both of which are heavy as hell, and power hogs. The C6 is also hard to find with a Windsor bell (they have integrated bells) and requires external safety measures at OP's power levels.

The 'glide is just... better.
Boring as hell on the street, but it is the premier sportsman drag racing trans. You can buy almost anything for that damn thing to make it handle a stupid amount of power, and it fits a fox better than a c4. A TH400 being the other choice when a 3rd gear is necessary..with the same bulletproofing that can be had from the aftermarket....It just don't fit, and it busts balls trying to put it in.

* The car don't care that it has a GM trans anymore than it cares if there is an LS under its hood.

Mike, you know I am not particularly brand prejudiced. I have a small power-slide transmission in my first car that’s hung up in line for the body shop. But it’s a 1961, and somebody should have come up with a better option by now. A Gear Vendors unit sounds like that improvement if someone has the money.

The switch pitch convertor, 2 speed “Jetaway” (TH-300) was a technological step above the powerglide on a street and track car in my 65. I replaced it with a TH-350 when it needed rebuilt because I found one cheap and wanted a lower first gear. It does not drop out of the power band as much between shifts now. But I wish I had gone with a 2004R that was built to Grand National racing specs for the overdrive.

If there was a reinforced drive belt strong enough made of unobtanium, a CVT that allowed the engine to be at peak power Rpm’s for the length of the track. Too bad the newer, multi gear, truck automatics are so heavy.

Mike, you know I am not particularly brand prejudiced. I have a small power-slide transmission in my first car that’s hung up in line for the body shop. But it’s a 1961, and somebody should have come up with a better option by now.

The switch pitch convertor 2 speed “Jetaway” (TH-300) was a technological step above the powerglide on a street and track car in my 65. I replaced it with a TH-350 when it needed rebuilt. It does not drop out of the power band as much between shifts now. But I wish I had gone with a 2004R that was built to Grand National specs for the overdrive.

if there was a reinforced drive belt strong enough, (made of unobtanium), a CVT that allowed the engine to be at peak power Rpm’s for the length of the track.