Best Fuel Pump For A Mustang Daily Driver?

BKM48198

15 Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Ypsilanti, Michigan
I am planning on getting a new fuel pump for my 90GT, the car is lightly modified, right now it has a 70mm Mass Air from a 95 Mustang, GT40 engine with Mustang cam, new TFS valve springs, 65mmTB, 3.73 gears. I plan on a higher stall torque convertor for the trans so I can upgrade from the OE Mustang cam. I do have a 75MM mass air meter and 24lb injectors for when I need them but before that I want to get a new fuel pump since the one in the car now is stock and 25 years old, I'm looking at either a 155lph or 190lph fuel pump just not sure of the best brand, just wondering what others have installed and either had good luck with or had problems with. Dropping a fuel tank is not something I want to do more than once if I don't have to.

Also when I do go with the larger fuel pump will the OE regulator be OK or should I plan on getting an adjustable one for tuning? Future plans are a better cam and aluminum heads so I want something that will still work properly once I do get a cam and heads. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

A wahlbro 190lph will be nore than enough for your needs. The stock FPR is fine unless you need to do tuning on the motor.

So the Wahlbro brand is a good brand? I've never checked into fuel pumps before so I'm not familiar with them, OE pump has ran good for over 25 years so I didn't have to change it, just want to before I end up with a full tank of gas and it goes out.

If you foresee EVER having a blower of any kind, then jump straight for the 255 high pressure.

Yes... Walbro are generally well made.

Here's an article that may help you plan through any future mods. If your combo is going to stay like it is then stock replacement.

Attachments

• FUELFLOWFORENSICS.pdf
    911.7 KB · Views: 444
Put this one in there and never look back. I've put this pump on every Mustang I've ever owned for 20 years. works good for a bone stock engine. It will allow you to grow and will cover you with a blower making up to 500rwhp. Great all around pump for a little over $100 bucks.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...ng-Walbro-255-Lhp-High-Pressure-Fuel-Pump-Kit

People will try and talk you out of it, saying it'll heat up your fuel. Blah-Blah-Blah!

Reactions: 1 user
If you foresee EVER having a blower of any kind, then jump straight for the 255 high pressure.

Yes... Walbro are generally well made.

Here's an article that may help you plan through any future mods. If your combo is going to stay like it is then stock replacement.
Heads and Cam are probably going to be the biggest changes I make, I won't go with a turbo, blower, or nitrous, I already blew the OE motor without any of those, the crank broke and destroyed that block without ever removing the heads or doing anything other than bolt-ons. Stock is only about 88LPH so with heads and cam change I think it could run lean at high rpms, I'm really just wanting to make sure I don't damage the engine in any way, I got a 96 Explorer motor and went thru it completely last year and hopefully it will last another 20+ years. I would like to be at about 300hp, I want it very streetable and will probably only see what the 1/4 mile times are a few times.

Put this one in there and never look back. I've put this pump on every Mustang I've ever owned for 20 years. works good for a bone stock engine. It will allow you to grow and will cover you with a blower making up to 500rwhp. Great all around pump for a little over $100 bucks.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...ng-Walbro-255-Lhp-High-Pressure-Fuel-Pump-Kit

People will try and talk you out of it, saying it'll heat up your fuel. Blah-Blah-Blah!
I have heard the 255 will heat up more and without any plans for a blower, turbo, or even nitrous that seems like overkill for just heads and cam upgrade. "IF" it does heat up more that seems like it would shorten the life of the pump, I want to do this once and be done and don't plan on selling the car ever. Doing the math a 155 should be more than enough for my plans for the motor but 190 definitely would be enough.

I run a 255 with a set up very similar to yours and no issues. It's overkill but leaves me room to grow later.
What size injectors do you use? I just bought a Pro-Flow 75mm Mass Air and a set of 24# injectors with a rebuild kit for $65 ( couldn't pass them up for the price) but I still have just a 19# setup with Explorer injectors and 70mmTB from a 95 Mustang.

I have heard the 255 will heat up more and without any plans for a blower, turbo, or even nitrous that seems like overkill for just heads and cam upgrade. "IF" it does heat up more that seems like it would shorten the life of the pump, I want to do this once and be done and don't plan on selling the car ever. Doing the math a 155 should be more than enough for my plans for the motor but 190 definitely would be enough.

You won't be wrong by putting any pump you want in there. If it's a Walbro, it will be just fine. Stay away from Airtex pumps or other brand X names that seem very unfamiliar.

What size injectors do you use? I just bought a Pro-Flow 75mm Mass Air and a set of 24# injectors with a rebuild kit for $65 ( couldn't pass them up for the price) but I still have just a 19# setup with Explorer injectors and 70mmTB from a 95 Mustang.
Explorer 19lb injectors.

You won't be wrong by putting any pump you want in there. If it's a Walbro, it will be just fine. Stay away from Airtex pumps or other brand X names that seem very unfamiliar.
I've seen some "CHEAP' pumps on ebay but don't want to save a few $$ and have to drop the tank again to replace it, I'd rather do this job once and know it is done, and I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road waiting on a flatbed. Less expensive in the long run to pay a little more now for a pump that will last.

Explorer 19lb injectors.
Walboro is the only replacement pump to use
That seems to be what everyone is saying, I'll get one and hopefully never have to think about the fuel pump again, I had to replace the pump in my Ranger last summer so that got me thinking I should replace this one as well, I spent an hour waiting for a tow-truck and $40 for the tow which could have gone to the cost of the pump, and I hate being stuck somewhere and paying for things that don't improve the vehicle. I'll probably try the 24# stuff to see how it works on the car but it's nice knowing the 19# will work. I still want a better set of heads and maybe I'll need it more with them.

X2 on the Walboro. I've run them on 2 cars without a problem. My first car was done in 92' and is still running that same pump. I had the opportunity to purchase it again earlier this year. Car is exactly the same as I sold it 20 years ago except the po had a wreck with the car and I didn't want it because of this fact. Kind of weird seeing a vehicle I "built" 20 years ago looking and running exactly the same as the day I sold it. It still runs bottom 12 sec et with the stock long block and a nitrous kit. I've got a 255 in both.

FWIW, although the 155 is "enough" for your needs as stated earlier, I also have run 255 Wahlbro's in every one of my fox body cars for two reasons. One, in case I ever add a blower or other power adder, and two it's maybe $10 more than the 155. I personally have never run into any overheating issues. Either way you will be fine.

With the motor not having forged pistons I wouldn't even think about a blower or turbo, VERY unlikely I will ever even put a small shot of nitrous on it. If I hit the lottery maybe but I'd have a much better block than stock then. The chances of hitting the lottery aren't very good but never say never, so the 255 might be going in, all depends on what is on sale in the next couple months before the weather gets nice.

With the motor not having forged pistons I wouldn't even think about a blower or turbo, VERY unlikely I will ever even put a small shot of nitrous on it. If I hit the lottery maybe but I'd have a much better block than stock then. The chances of hitting the lottery aren't very good but never say never, so the 255 might be going in, all depends on what is on sale in the next couple months before the weather gets nice.

That sir, is internet myth. Sure, it's great to have all forged internals if I know ahead of time that I'm going to boost to the moon. One less thing, huh?

If it's tuned correctly to begin with, then there's really not much difference. Those hypereutectic pistons are perfectly happy to support a moderate amount of boost and make a BUNCH of HP. If that's your limiting factor you'll need a better one. hehe :) Those hypers will be right at home with a nice boost and good tune. :nice:

Reactions: 1 users

MANY thousands of people- including myself- have run a blower and/or Nitrous with stock bottom ends with no problems. I've run 10# of boost and also have run 125 shots. The keys are

1. good tune
2. good head gakets and ARP hardware
3. good supporting parts- injectors, fuel pump, etc.

Vortech, Procharger and most Nitrous companies all sell entry level kits that are plug and play with no tune needed. With power adders, you can run rich all day long but only lean once. The horror stories you hear are about guys who slap on a power adder and make no or incorrect adjustments to timing and fuel. Guys start swapping smaller pulleys to up boost, or change jets on Nitrous seeking more and more power. As long as the A/F ratio is within specs and you have a tune which will keep the timing and fuel curves within safe levels, there is no reason to worry.

That sir, is internet myth. Sure, it's great to have all forged internals if I know ahead of time that I'm going to boost to the moon. One less thing, huh?

If it's tuned correctly to begin with, then there's really not much difference. Those hypereutectic pistons are perfectly happy to support a moderate amount of boost and make a BUNCH of HP. If that's your limiting factor you'll need a better one. hehe :) Those hypers will be right at home with a nice boost and good tune. :nice:
Well I know If I did put a blower on it I would keep wanting more and more power until the weakest link let go, after snapping a crank in a stock motor with just bolt-ons I don't want to push a stock block, it wiped out a bunch of parts and made a big mess. I'd rather be able to drive the car everyday without blowing another block apart. My wife would kill me if I blew up another motor.