Best hooking tire for a stock 17x8 wheel

Last year, I bought a set of 17x9 wheels with Nitto 555 for daily driving. I have 4.10s and soon a stall converter. Traction will be an issue, I'm sure. I'd like to use my extra set of stock 17x8 wheels for the track and I need some really good hooking tires. Something better than Nitto Drag Radials. It seems like all the slicks are for 15 inch wheels. Are there any other options for 17x8 wheels?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a comparison article in one of my Muscle Mustang & Fast Fords that did a test on BFG DRAG RADIALS, NITTO DRAG RADIALS, MT ET STREETS, and regular slicks. The slicks got the highest marks of course, but the BFG's were not too far behind. The did quite a bit better than the other DRAG RADIAL tires, it also said they work better on automatics than 5-speeds. The only down side to them was the traction in rainy conditions were not as good as the NITTOS. They were supprised the BFG's did as well as the MT streets, because of the MT's being almost a regular slick but with tread lines cut in them for DOT approval. I can tell you I have only run the BFG's and been extremely happy with them:nice: or I would have tried some other brand. Also a few of my friends have had the NITTO DR's and said they dont hook as good as my BFG's do, so you might want to look into getting the BFG's at least once to see how they do, I love mine. :D

Any feedback on the MT ET Streets?

I'm one of those that listen to the manufacturer when they say 275s have to be on 9 to 11 inch wheels. I would not put 275s on a 17x8 even though hundreds of people will post that they have and have not had any problems. It's just a personal choice I make. Unfortunately, these tires come in 245s then jump to 275s. I might have to buy some 15" rims.

propellerhead said:

I'm one of those that listen to the manufacturer when they say 275s have to be on 9 to 11 inch wheels. I would not put 275s on a 17x8 even though hundreds of people will post that they have and have not had any problems. It's just a personal choice I make. Unfortunately, these tires come in 245s then jump to 275s. I might have to buy some 15" rims.

i saw them on a mach 1 and it hooked up pretty good of the line dont know what size they were but it was on a the stock mach rim

propellerhead said:

I know MT has a new line of DR's out now but on the orginal ones, 275/40's is all they had in a 17 and the suggested rim size is a 9.5

OK guess I'm an idiot but yes the BFG DR's in 275 on stock wheels work well on the track. They came off a cobra that had been driving on them.
MT et streets FORGET about driving in the rain, or going around corners with any speed.
Also since my DR's were track only I said screw it and went to 15" rims and tires. Works alot better. And since I was already changing rims might as well go for something better.

Jackie Chan said:
check my sig...i had et streets on my cobra wheels b4 i had to dd it again. low 1.7s and 1.6s would happen if i didnt have a slammed f'ing suspension....
Were those 17x9s? I would put 275 ET Streets on 17x9 wheels in a heartbeat and use them only for the track, but like I said earlier, I'd like to keep my 17x9s wrapped in Nitto 555 (not drag radials) for daily driving. I was looking for something for 17x8s, if such an option exists. Otherwise, I'm forced to get 15 inch wheels.

no, i had et streets not st street drag radials. those are mounted on 17x8 wheels. the only problem is that they make the tire a little taller on the wheel. I still had good mph and the car had more hook than I could use. I ran them at 16psi and pretty much dumped them and hooked hard. I just need to get the rear suspension softened up a little to cut some 1.6s

Well, if you were running 12s and the tires would hook more than what you needed, then I guess it will be fine for my 4.10s and stall converter launches. My best 1/8 mile run was 8.89 which equates to a 13.99 or something like that on the 1/4 mile. I'm trying to decide if I'll go ahead and spring the $$ for some 15-inch wheels first before buying sticky tires.

propellerhead said:
Well, if you were running 12s and the tires would hook more than what you needed, then I guess it will be fine for my 4.10s and stall converter launches. My best 1/8 mile run was 8.89 which equates to a 13.99 or something like that on the 1/4 mile. I'm trying to decide if I'll go ahead and spring the $$ for some 15-inch wheels first before buying sticky tires.

the tires that jackie chan mentioned were the ones i saw on the mach, the 26x11.5x17 and they will work great with your 4.10's

I saw two tires on the Mickey Thompson website. ET Streets and ET Street Radials. The ET Street has really thin sipes going down the middle. It almost looks like a slick. Jegs P/N 672-3743.

The second one has the wider sipes and has two going down the middle and the diagonal ones along the edges. Jegs P/N 672-3743R.

Which one were you talking about?