best intake need help to decide

noslow86

Dec 30, 2003
sandwich il
im looking to buy an intake cant decide what to buy or what is better edelbrock or performer or trick flow intake my car is stock buttom end but later i want to make it a 306 and i dont want to have to find money later for a better intake want it done once. which one will be good . i have 3.73 gears,pulleys ,a/c delete, cold air induction,mass air conversion, full exhaust, computer chip, blaster coil, shocks.

• Sponsors (?)

For a 302(6) street/dd combo I've always been partial to the GT40 ...
I know it's a little more expensive, but you only live once and the thing looks so nice everytime you pop the hood to make sure the oil is full :drool:

It's lighter than stock (unlike some aftermarket intakes) and it retains all the factory hook-up locations.
Plus it doesn't lose low-mid power like a lot of aftermarket intakes do :nice:

The stock lower is the most restrictive piece on the stock engine - porting it (tmoss) or replacing it will make a noticeable difference even with stock heads.

There was a manifold comparison test in one of the recent Mustang mags - MM&FF or 5.0 -- can't remember which mag. In any event, the biggest surprise to me was how well the GT40 performed compared to all the traditional intake (Edelbrock, TFS, etc.). It had stronger low end and mid range than any of them, and outperformed a number of them on the top too - for the most part unless you're building a motor for peak power only above 5500 rpm, it's hard to beat the GT40/Cobra/Explorer intakes.

Unless you're gonna be doing heads at some point, the best bang for the buck is letting tmoss port your stock lower.