Best loudest exhaust for 89 gt?

My setup right now is....o/r xpipe, equal length shorties, cam, and flowmaster American thundercat catback.

i like the sound of it but i want to make it even louder withthe same classic muscle sound. I’ve searched different types of exhaustdont know what would fit best for my setup. I’ve seen the spintech super pro street 9000, flowmaster outlaws, super 40/44, super 10. My goal is to be heard from a mile away coming in & out. Don’t really like the raspy sound but it’ll work too. What do yall suggestion?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not going to ask why you feel the need to be heard a mile away.
Go with a race car muffler, and no tail pipes, that should make your ears ring within a few months.
Oh, and make sure you get those two way radios like those motorcyclists have because that will be the only way you will be able to carry on a conversation if anybody rides with you for any length of time.
Sorry, probably not what you want to read here.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I'm not going to ask why you feel the need to be heard a mile away.
Go with a race car muffler, and no tail pipes, that should make your ears ring within a few months.
Oh, and make sure you get those two way radios like those motorcyclists have because that will be the only way you will be able to carry on a conversation if anybody rides with you for any length of time.
Sorry, probably not what you want to read here.

Ok, look for a muffler that is straight through and put tail pipes on it.
All good. I'm older (god I hate say'n that) and have tinnitus, that can be caused by loud stuff, like the side exit exhaust on a couple cars I had when younger, yeah, they were loud.

Hell,...why even bother with a muffler? May as well run straight pipes.

Obviously, you’ve never heard a Classic muscle car, because if you had you’d know that the “Classic Muscle sound” wasn’t anywhere near as loud as the setup you currently have on your car now. Every 1969 351-428 CJ Mach 1 that I ever owned, or heard, every 396-454 Camaro-Chevelle/ 383-440 A/B body Chrysler/400-455 GTO-Buick GS....EVERY FEAKIN ONE of those cars came from the factory so quiet, you could hear yourself think.

What you meant to say was: Obnoxious, overdone aftermarket late model Mustang sound.You just want to make it even more so.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Dumps!! if you want louder?!?! Just cut the tail pipes and weld the turn downs on and you will be plenty loud. I did this while is high school years ago bc that was race car!! :rock:

I have American Thunder set up also and its loud. Im ok with it , but Saturday night I got my wife in the car and wished it wasnt so loud.....If you like it loud get dumps that way you can feel it too.

Just add dumps to what you currently have and see what it does. If that's not what you're aiming for then swap mufflers for something straight through as was suggested. I don't see a reason to change anything else from what your setup is now to achieve more volume.

Not necessarily an apples to apples comparison, but here is a video of my II. It has long tubes, 2-1/2" pipes, H pipe, Thrush chambered mufflers and turn downs before the axle. It is loud hence why the camera is so far back, I didn't want the exhaust overpowering the microphone on the camera I was using.

View: https://youtu.be/lgGduu0N3Rw

And another for a different perspective:

View: https://youtu.be/oIreFUOfLZw

I'd like to quiet it down without changing what it sounds like but right now I have bigger fish to fry. I, too, have tinnitus and it sucks. Trust us when we say that you'll probably not like it as loud as you think you might.

SLP Loudmouths ,loud is in the name.I've had them for a while now and love em.I do set my next door neighbors kids alarm off every morning but they still love me.
IMG_20200313_171037_hdr.jpg