Best rear end gears for 03 GT 5 speed

95stanggt2

Mar 20, 2006
Just wondering what gears to go wth, thinking of 3:73s or 4:10s?
The car does not get daily driven, does not get raced, pretty much just gets driven on local cruises. I might want to take it to a drag strip sometime to see what it will do, may even want to take it to a road course sometime.
But mostly just driven for fun, and the occasional fun commute. has a tune, cai and exhaust, mostly stock 03 GT with 5 speed.
I want that kick in the pants acceleration, but don't want it to be a drag car that gets poor mileage.
Opinions please.
Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

Mine has been daily driven for about 130K miles after my 4.10 swap. If I stay out of it and drive normal I get 21-22MPG at 70MPH on the highway...stayed at 65 when gas got high and pushed 24MPG. Don't worry about gas mileage because in my experience it isn't a factor. Well until you want to romp on it all the time which is hard NOT to do. Also the gas mileage I get is with the mods in my sig. Yours may be better.

I'll probably be the only one that says 3.73's. You said you don't race it so i don't see a need for 4.10's. My 3.73's are perfect. 4.30's would be rediculous, say goodbye to your first gear. Now they would be awesome for track duty :nice: Either route you chose will be a major improvement over stock just make sure to replace all the bearings in the rear while you're at it:nice:

4:10's FTW!

These mod motors love to run high, and i still get good if not better gas mileage than the 3:27's

+1

No doubt, get the 4.10s....other wise you will be kicking yourself in the arse later down the road if you go with 3.73s-3.90s; I've seen it WAY too many times :nonono:

Good luck bro:nice:

3.73s, i can cruise at 80mph at the same RPM that people with 4.10's cruise at 70. I love my 3.73's, i wouldnt go anything lower, but i also drive mine about 100 miles everyday on the interstate so that's a big factor with me.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input:nice:

I'd really like to stick with Ford Racing products, so I'm still kind of hung up between the 2, because I don't think FR makes 3:90 gears, screw it, maybe I'll just go with the 4:10s and if I don't like them I can always trade them for the 3:73s

I'll probably be the only one that says 3.73's. You said you don't race it so i don't see a need for 4.10's. My 3.73's are perfect

Same goes for me. I drive mine to work about half the time, it's a 30 mile roundtripper of mostly rural driving. Lovin' my 3.73's. Sometimes I wonder what the 4.10's would've felt like, but I'm happy with my decision.