• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Best shifting method?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BurningRubber
  • Start date Start date Apr 13, 2006

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
1,865
24
58
Apr 13, 2006
#1
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #1
Allright, the Mustang is my first 5 speed car that I have owned... But, I often drive a little 5 speed beater truck around, and can shift the crap out of that thing... but I cant seem to get the hang of it in the Mustang.

My shifts are always slow, cause im scared im gonna miss a gear. Any tips or anything on how to get fast shifts without worrying about grinding or missing? I dont wanna go tear the car up practicing, and I dont want to look like an ass if I run it at the track... lol.

I would like to be able to get it so I can at least squeek 3rd gear, and be able to throw a quick shift, or occasional powershift (like at the track).

Would a short throw shifter help me out alot? The stock one isnt bad, but it is kinda clumsy at times.

Any tips are appreciated...
 

merc123

Active Member
Jan 27, 2003
420
2
39
North GA
Apr 13, 2006
#2
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #2
pro 5.0, mgw or tri-ax will be close to night and day. I tried out a stocker after I put my tri-ax in and I couldn't believe how sloppy it was.

That will make a big difference
 

02GTKB

New Member
Mar 31, 2005
122
1
0
Apr 13, 2006
#3
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #3
get a shifter, works wonders. the only thing we can tell you is practice, practice, practice.
But remember you dont have to power shift to get good times.
 

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
20+ Year Stangneter
Aug 10, 2002
9,457
1,377
234
Ontario, Canada
Apr 13, 2006
#4
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #4
02GTKB said:
get a shifter, works wonders. the only thing we can tell you is practice, practice, practice.
But remember you dont have to power shift to get good times.
Click to expand...
....nope, adding a Kenne Bell under the hood worked wonders for you in that dept. Better than any form of "power shifting" could have.
 

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
1,865
24
58
Apr 13, 2006
#5
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #5
Thanks guys, I figured a short throw was a step in the right direction.
 

gtstangau

Member
Jan 9, 2006
133
0
16
Alabama
Apr 13, 2006
#6
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #6
Yeah the Tri-Ax was my first mod. It makes a huge diffrence. It puts it in third for you so no more searching around for it. The stock shifter was horrible felt like I was driving a truck instead of a sports car.
 

urban96

bubb rubb says:"woo woooooo"
Founding Member
Sep 24, 2002
3,464
1
69
Syracuse, NY
Apr 13, 2006
#7
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #7
with a pro 5.0 you can put some muscle into your shifts
 

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
1,865
24
58
Apr 13, 2006
#8
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #8
I know there are a zillion threads on this... but who likes what shifter best...?

Pro 5.0

MGW

Triax

B&M Ripper

Any other good ones?
 
R

RoadconeTuning

New Member
Apr 4, 2006
458
0
0
Upstate, SC
Apr 13, 2006
#9
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #9
i like the feel of the Tri-Ax... thats why i just orderd on for my new 04
 
W

WillDuhhBeast

New Member
Jun 25, 2005
339
0
0
Jacksonville Florida
Apr 13, 2006
#10
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #10
I have tried the tri ax and the MGW and I like the MGW tons more. I couldn't imagine a better shifter once it was broken in.
 
E

exindust

New Member
May 8, 2004
329
0
0
Moorpark, CA
Apr 14, 2006
#11
  • Apr 14, 2006
  • #11
MGW here
 

wannabe2000GT

New Member
Nov 9, 2004
138
1
0
upstate, ny
Apr 14, 2006
#12
  • Apr 14, 2006
  • #12
urban96 said:
with a pro 5.0 you can put some muscle into your shifts
Click to expand...

hey noticed your from syracuse. you ever go up to esta?
 
G

GT02MG

New Member
Dec 11, 2004
49
0
0
MD
Apr 14, 2006
#13
  • Apr 14, 2006
  • #13
I love my tri-ax....I cant believe I waited so long to get a new shifter the stock one feels like its in a bowl of jello it sucks.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,332
18,059
224
Massachusetts
Apr 14, 2006
#14
  • Apr 14, 2006
  • #14
MGW here.


I have yet to miss a shift EVER since installing it. Before with the stock shifting i would miss 3rd gear all the time by hitting the middle of the gate. With the MGW, just slam the shifter up and it goes right into 3rd
 

squares98

Member
Aug 20, 2004
852
0
17
Orange,ca
Apr 14, 2006
#15
  • Apr 14, 2006
  • #15
urban96 said:
with a pro 5.0 you can put some muscle into your shifts
Click to expand...


damm right you can, Ive almost broken a finger many times, and made my wrist sore on one super muscled shift. Lightning quick. Its been in my car for 8 years and Im happy with it, my trans still shifts great too.

My advice is sit in the car with it off(after you've had some time driving your car) . Practice rowing through the gears while working the clutch as if the cart were running. Start slow, work your way faster, and faster, and faster....
This takes practice, no other way around it.
Just be advised you can shift alot harder into 3rd gear then you want to in 2nd gear(tire spin)
 

urban96

bubb rubb says:"woo woooooo"
Founding Member
Sep 24, 2002
3,464
1
69
Syracuse, NY
Apr 14, 2006
#16
  • Apr 14, 2006
  • #16
wannabe2000GT said:
hey noticed your from syracuse. you ever go up to esta?
Click to expand...
yup been there a few times, havnt raced my car yet but thie year i plan to. i only like like 5 mins from the track
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
215
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
243
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
C
Help with manual conversion
  • CPH89LX
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
20
Views
469
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 27, 2026
2000xp8
B
Questions About T5 Manual
  • Blackout67
  • Apr 13, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
701
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Apr 22, 2025
89ripper
K
TKX Transmission Shifting Problem
  • KWC156
  • Jun 23, 2025
  • Other Auto Tech
  • 2
Replies
21
Views
3K
Other Auto Tech Jun 13, 2026
427nostang
4
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?