• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Best way to lower my 00 GT about 2 inches?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jayrw
  • Start date Start date Sep 2, 2008

jayrw

Member
Sep 2, 2007
156
0
17
Clovis, California.
Sep 2, 2008
#1
  • Sep 2, 2008
  • #1
I have a 2000 GT that i'd like to lower a little but worried about losing ride quality, is it possible to lower the car about 2 - 2.5 inches without making the ride a stiff bumpy mess? Thanks.
 

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
3,501
28
119
Motor City
Sep 2, 2008
#2
  • Sep 2, 2008
  • #2
Steeda Sport Springs model number 8200 lowered my notch quite a bit. The kit is for 79-04 Mustang V8 model cars. I took them out of a 2001 GT that looked much lower than stock. The ride quality isn't as good as stock even though Steeda says "No deterioration in ride quality"

H&R springs lower the car a lot too, but I haven' ever used them.
 
M

MEandmyKB

New Member
Oct 13, 2005
68
0
0
Sep 2, 2008
#3
  • Sep 2, 2008
  • #3
I went with Ford racing springs and got about a 2" drop. Seems like I went with the (M-5300-B) springs and got more drop than I expected but the ride was still good.
 
J

Jbauer

New Member
Jan 20, 2008
506
0
0
Sep 2, 2008
#4
  • Sep 2, 2008
  • #4
what ford racing spring gives a 2" drop? usually, those ford springs leave a lot to be desired, from my experience the car still looks like a 4x4 after the ford springs.
 

jayrw

Member
Sep 2, 2007
156
0
17
Clovis, California.
Sep 2, 2008
#5
  • Sep 2, 2008
  • #5
SVT32VDOHC said:
Steeda Sport Springs model number 8200 lowered my notch quite a bit. The kit is for 79-04 Mustang V8 model cars. I took them out of a 2001 GT that looked much lower than stock. The ride quality isn't as good as stock even though Steeda says "No deterioration in ride quality"

H&R springs lower the car a lot too, but I haven' ever used them.
Click to expand...

Interesting the 8200 is the top selling spring on stangsuspension.com, but they also highly recommend replacing the stock shocks & struts when buying new springs.. Sounds like this could be a little expensive.

Also from doing more research it looks like im not wanting a 2 - 2.5" drop, more like a 1 - 1.5" drop .. Im not looking to lower it to the point of being afraid of speed bumps.
 

fudleyd

New Member
Jan 10, 2003
180
0
0
Littleton, CO
Sep 2, 2008
#6
  • Sep 2, 2008
  • #6
Personally, I love my Ford Racing "C" springs. I got about a 1.25-1.50" drop in the front and about 1" in the rear. It gave my car a nice subtle rake that I really like. I also didn't want to slam the car too low as it's a driver and I didn't want to have to worry about bumps/etc either. The Ford springs certainly aren't as low as some of the other options but that is why I chose them. If you want a nice smooth ride, similar to stock get the "B" springs and if you want a firmer (and quite a bit harsher) ride get the "C" springs. It's a linear vs progressive thing...
 
M

MEandmyKB

New Member
Oct 13, 2005
68
0
0
Sep 3, 2008
#7
  • Sep 3, 2008
  • #7
Jbauer said:
what ford racing spring gives a 2" drop? usually, those ford springs leave a lot to be desired, from my experience the car still looks like a 4x4 after the ford springs.
Click to expand...

I went from 28-1/2" ride height at all corners and after the FR springs, and waiting 2 or so weeks for suspension to settle in, I measured 26-1/2" fender height front and 27" rear.
 
H

hskrs10

Member
Dec 21, 2004
35
1
6
Nebraska
Sep 3, 2008
#8
  • Sep 3, 2008
  • #8
I used B & G Springs, it lowered 1.75" all around. Rides great but sucks on bumps.
 

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
3,501
28
119
Motor City
Sep 3, 2008
#9
  • Sep 3, 2008
  • #9
jayrw said:
Interesting the 8200 is the top selling spring on stangsuspension.com, but they also highly recommend replacing the stock shocks & struts when buying new springs.. Sounds like this could be a little expensive.

Also from doing more research it looks like im not wanting a 2 - 2.5" drop, more like a 1 - 1.5" drop .. Im not looking to lower it to the point of being afraid of speed bumps.
Click to expand...

That makes sense. I have used struts and shocks and the ride is ROUGH to say the least. I have to be on a newly paved road to be comfy. When I go over RxR tracks I have to slow to a stop, then lightly roll over them. I will replace them next year. I needed to save some cash and this is the only thing I budgeted on when I built my car.
 

fudleyd

New Member
Jan 10, 2003
180
0
0
Littleton, CO
Sep 3, 2008
#10
  • Sep 3, 2008
  • #10
jayrw said:
Interesting the 8200 is the top selling spring on stangsuspension.com, but they also highly recommend replacing the stock shocks & struts when buying new springs.. Sounds like this could be a little expensive.

Also from doing more research it looks like im not wanting a 2 - 2.5" drop, more like a 1 - 1.5" drop .. Im not looking to lower it to the point of being afraid of speed bumps.
Click to expand...

If money is an issue there is another route you might consider. Look in the classifieds for people selling their setups from a Bullitt or Mach1. I have seen good deals on the shocks/struts with low miles. They are Tokicos and are very similar to the Tokico Blues. Just a thought...
 
E

El Diablo

Member
Aug 1, 2004
53
0
6
Sep 3, 2008
#11
  • Sep 3, 2008
  • #11
Just cut your stock springs if you low on cash...
 

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
3,501
28
119
Motor City
Sep 3, 2008
#12
  • Sep 3, 2008
  • #12
+1 for you!

I bought a set of Mach 1 struts from the dealer for my 96 Cobra. They are black tokicos and the car rides much nicer than my worn out 54K Cobra struts. Then the 03 Cobra/Bullit have the blues.
 
D

dieselac

New Member
Mar 2, 2007
12
0
0
Sep 3, 2008
#13
  • Sep 3, 2008
  • #13
Just put H&R super sports on mine, no isolators, and the drop is awesome. Anytime you do a drop your going to loose a little ride quality, especially if you want a 2 inch drop. Its not bad though. Pain is beauty!

View attachment 305283
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
181
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
Front Coil Overs and Rear Traditional Springs within a Maximum Motorsports K-Member Kit
  • Habu135
  • Sep 7, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
539
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 9, 2026
Habu135
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
340
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
A definitive answer to the question of how much height Energy Suspension isolators add
  • 2000xp8
  • May 20, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
305
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 20, 2025
2000xp8
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?