Best wires to get???

I'm going to be doing a tune up on my stang next week and was wondering which would be the best wires to get. Right now I have FMS 9mm, but am looking into getting better wires. My mods are: Edelbrock performer heads/performer intake, e-cam, and all the usual bolt-ons. The wires will be run with Autolite 3924 plugs gapped at .45"

• Sponsors (?)

Those wires you have should be more than sufficient. It doesnt take a whole ton of wire to work at full capacity - most folks get what looks nice or is most macho (hey, look at my 14 mm wires). :D
Some companies are making wires with new windings and the wires are pretty thin by design - I wonder if they'll catch on because they lack the aesthetics of a large diameter....... :shrug:

That said, if someone were giving me wires, Livewires might be what I'd use. I have Mallory's one on stang and MSD SC's on the other........

Good luck.

1990LXDropTop said:
So are my wires okay to re-use? I put them on about 10,000 miles ago. As stated above, they are the FMS blue 9mm wires.
There's about no way for us to know. If the wires ohm-out alright and you dont have a light show at night with the hood up, I personally would leave the wires till an issue arises. But if you want to start with fresh wires as part of a thorough tune-up, I certainly understand that. I can help you recycle the old wires if you like. :D

HISSIN50 said:
There's about no way for us to know. If the wires ohm-out alright and you dont have a light show at night with the hood up, I personally would leave the wires till an issue arises. But if you want to start with fresh wires as part of a thorough tune-up, I certainly understand that. I can help you recycle the old wires if you like. :D

JT, that is very kind and environmentally friendly of you :)

Out of curiousity what would be a good resistance reading for a plug wire?

I think the best thing to do would be record the resistance of the new wires, before installation. Then you always have a baseline of those wires.

jason

Jason, it depends upon the brand and model of plug wires. Once you go aftermarket, I wouldnt go with the OEM spec (except as an outside guideline absent better info) but rather with the specs for the new wires.

if its not broke dont fix it, if your wires are bad you can lift the hood at night with the motor running and see spark jumping out of them or mist watter on them in the day and see it, I have a stock 95 GT with 165.000 miles and the original wires and it still gets 27mpg on the highway, dont you think my gas milage would suffer, still starts good too, someday it will start running bad on rainy days and i will put new ones on