Big Block Conversion Mods

69 Sportroof

Jan 7, 2006
Can any one out there tell me what mods need to be done to upgrade to a 460 motor in a 69 stang? I have a great interest in the swap, but would like to know how much is invoved with shock tower mods. I prefer to not to convert to a MustangII set-up. Any info on this will be a big help in steering me in the right direction to weigh the pros and cons on the swap. thnx.

• Sponsors (?)

for the 67-70 mustangs, a 460 will fit in real nice. remember that these cars came with the FE engines. you dont have to make ANY shock tower mods, or do any suspension swap. you will have to upgrade the springs though. and a brake upgrade would not be a bad idea as well. if you can find them you can use the boss 429 engine and chassis mounts for the swap. you can also contact crites restoration as they have(or had) a swap kit.

Excellant! The springs aren't a problem. I was gonna change them and add a tubular A-arm kit. The only issue will be if a rack & pinion upgrade will clear the motor. Thanks for the info.

MPG seems to be exactly what I needed. thanks alot, the swap doesn,t seem to be nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. I guess the biggest issue with a project like this will be, ... TRACTION!

OK, Another setback! I checked with mpg, they offer nice ceramic coated headers for the 460 swap,........however! Their kit isn,t designed to clear a rack & pinion set-up without cutting, bending & welding one of the down- tubes! Not an ideal situation with a $700+ coated exhaust system! So now I,m looking at upgrading the steering box. I would like to find something with an updated ratio if possible, but haven,t been able to locate anything. Any leads would be a big help!

I have a 460 in my 67. I will tell you I shed many man tears each time I tightened or removed header bolts. I even clipped my shock towers as described in the fordmuscle.com article. It was horrible. I now have removed shock towers and done a rod & custom rack/MII suspension conversion. Very nice now. No more tears. There is a Yahoo site dedicated to the 429 early Mustang conversion at: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/429-460Stangs

Ok, does a strut conversion free up enough space in the engine compartment? Or is the mustang II kit mandatory to get the towers outta the way totally? I really want to run tubular A-arms in the stock tower config. It seems there,s quite allot to consider with the 460 swap.