Big block radiator replacing a small block radiator in a 70 Mach 1.

Richard Harden

Aug 14, 2012
I own a 70 Mach 1, and it came with a 351C. I stroked the motor, so I wanted to install a big block aluminum radiator for extra cooling. I purchased new upper and lower BB radiator mounts, but the radiator core support interferes with the fit. Can anyone tell me if I need to cut/trim the core support where the original 351C radiator bolted up? I'm looking at pictures on the internet and it looks like Ford or someone trimmed the opening. Please send your opinions. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Big block radiator will fit in a small block car ,dont know about aluminum ,but it should . The upper radiator bracket bolts behind the hood latch assembly and simply clamps down on the radiator . An aluminum radiator may fit differently though
Thanks Horse Sence. I have all the new mounts. everything fits until I install the fan shroud and electric fan. I have a CVF front pully system on a stroked 351C engine and the fan/water pump pully are too close. I thought maybe Ford trimmed the core support when they installed a BB radiator. It's not stock, so you know how that goes. I can trim the opening where the SB radiator bolts up and that would help. Not sure if it would be enough. I'll look at this again. Thanks!

You can trim it ,but the thickness of the radiatir may not let ot move forward any more . You can use a shorter fan spacer to pull the fan back if you have room between the crank pully and the back of the fan

I sent a few pictures of the engine. I can't move anything because it's a complete system. I'll look at things today and try to come up with a plan. About the most I can do, would be to remove the front nose cover on the water pump. That may give me the clearance I need. Thanks.

Attachments

• P1030922.JPG
    P1030922.JPG
    328.7 KB · Views: 176
  • P1030920.JPG
    P1030920.JPG
    332.7 KB · Views: 197
My wife's 73 M1 has a 460. Did you go bigger than that? It has an aluminum radiator sold as a replacement for a 71-73 Mustang, nothing special. direct bolt in, works fine.
I went with a big block radiator, Cold Case brand with an electric fan. I didn't realize I had to purchase upper and lower mounts, like the ones the factory used. My original radiator used side bolts to mount it to the radiator core support. The Cold Case had these too, but they didn't match up with the holes in the core support. I called Cold Case and they told me what I had to do. It's installed and fit fine. Thanks!