Big Problem...........help me solve it

mytight95

Apr 11, 2003
Dothan,Al
Ok i seem to have lost one of the bolts that bolt the rocker arm to the head.. :( .............they are the ones for the 1.7 ration Crane Cams......rocker arms........same ones used in the cobras...........

can i go to a hardware store and match it up to one that same thread count length etc. or do i have to try and custom order one...........i would think i could go and just match one up.........but i am sure it has to be a strong bolt to take all that pressure of the rocker arms

thanks............

jason

• Sponsors (?)

This is one of those situations where I wouldn't try to cut any corners. That bolt is for a critical system with a moving part that takes a lot of stress. I would probably just call crane cams and order a replacement (and maybe a couple spares). I have found that companies are usually pretty good about this. I lost a couple bolts and retainers for my stage 8 header bolts and they replaced them for free.

i found some grade 8 bolts that are exactly like the ones i had in every dimension even have the same markings on them in the same places...........they are grade 8........they should be plenty strong enough.............RIGHT??????

jason

I had a rocker bolt break on me too. I went to home depot or whatever and got like 20 grade 8 bolts for around $12. I replaced all my rocker arm bolts. They are more than strong enough. I even went back and got some for my valve coves since the fox covers use a longer bolt and I wanted the nice gold look the ones they sell had.

mytight95 said:
i found some grade 8 bolts that are exactly like the ones i had in every dimension even have the same markings on them in the same places...........they are grade 8........they should be plenty strong enough.............RIGHT??????

jason

As long as the thread pattern, and bolt length is the same, then you should be just fine. I can't imagine what difference a different bolt would make. They aren't like our stock head bolts from what I know. Since it's grade 8, I wouldn't think twice about using it.
Scott