biggest cam

Team Ford

Dec 16, 2005
Which Bumpsticks are you running?

what cams are you guys running?

If I ever do swap in some hot cams Id want the most performance & biggest lopey idle I could get. I have gears & a tuner and wouldnt mind swapping in better valve springs. I just wouldnt want to have to change out the pistons.

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't go above a stage II with stock heads, internals, and intake manifold. It'd be just stupid, you'd have basically a power band of a 4.0 V6 where you most often are and the cams would be really hard to degree. Stage II's sound plenty lopey and and need correct timing/degreeing themselves.

There's a car on another board with a stock gt bottom end with comp 278s but it would be best not to gamble. You should find "stage 2" N/A cams with a tight lsa that won't have PTV contact. That will probably give you a good lope. What other mods do you have so we can pick more suitable cams for you?

There's a car on another board with a stock gt bottom end with comp 278s but it would be best not to gamble. You should find "stage 2" N/A cams with a tight lsa that won't have PTV contact. That will probably give you a good lope. What other mods do you have so we can pick more suitable cams for you?

LSA doesn't describe any indication of clearance - the LSA is the quotient of 2 of the sum of intake centerline and exhaust centerline. And each centerline is also a quotient of 2 of the duration which is a sum of 180+ intake opening and closing degree locations. So as you see, LSA is just a snapshot of how the cam behaves - not an exact indicator of any measurement, as it's the average of two averages.

LSA doesn't describe any indication of clearance - the LSA is the quotient of 2 of the sum of intake centerline and exhaust centerline. And each centerline is also a quotient of 2 of the duration which is a sum of 180+ intake opening and closing degree locations. So as you see, LSA is just a snapshot of how the cam behaves - not an exact indicator of any measurement, as it's the average of two averages.

I didn't say that it was a measure of clearance. I was just saying that he should get N/A cams with a tight lsa b/c he wants a lopey idle, but obviously he doesn't want PTV contact. Even though with enough duration, wider lsa's like blower ones are lopey too. My Crower S/C cams are loud, without a blower.

Check out the houston performance regrind 292s cams. I just had some installed in my car and they make a lot of bumpty bump. No ptv issues. Pull all the way through the powerband.

Why do I think recycle when I think regrind...are these just as stong as new cams. Is there any drawbacks to using regrinds. I remember reading I think on VT's site that their cams were not regrinds - sounded like regrinds were a bad thing or inferior or at least thats how I took it.

I dont think Ill be going with stage 4's (wth) :)

Im intrested in the 292 regrinds...hmm tell me more.

Why do I think recycle when I think regrind...are these just as stong as new cams. Is there any drawbacks to using regrinds. I remember reading I think on VT's site that their cams were not regrinds - sounded like regrinds were a bad thing or inferior or at least thats how I took it.

I dont think Ill be going with stage 4's (wth) :)

Im intrested in the 292 regrinds...hmm tell me more.

my powerheads cams are regrinds, some people say to stay away from regrinds. but it does same thing as aftermarket cams and cheaper, but with regrinds you have to use lash caps to make up the differeence...

I didn't say that it was a measure of clearance. I was just saying that he should get N/A cams with a tight lsa b/c he wants a lopey idle, but obviously he doesn't want PTV contact. Even though with enough duration, wider lsa's like blower ones are lopey too. My Crower S/C cams are loud, without a blower.
My mistake, sorry. Yes, i agree a tight LSA would help with the lopey sound - CMS' are actually really right LSA's.
Reson I don't like regrinds is because you can only take material off a cam, not exactly add to it - and the proper specs for a cam i'm sure requires some areas to be wider/taller than the stock cam. Although I can't say I know a lot about regrinds as I never really considered them.

$450 per set. + $100 core charge for your stockers. With just the bolt-on's in my sig and the cams made 260 hp on a mustang dyno with custom tune. The heads were not touched. I think with some heads this could be 300 on the mustang dyno. The cams are 292 duraton and .531 lift. I don't know all the specs. I am happy with mine. I think regrinds are o.k. Not if your making 1000 hp and have huge valves with extreme spring pressures.

$450 per set. + $100 core charge for your stockers. With just the bolt-on's in my sig and the cams made 260 hp on a mustang dyno with custom tune. The heads were not touched. I think with some heads this could be 300 on the mustang dyno. The cams are 292 duraton and .531 lift. I don't know all the specs. I am happy with mine. I think regrinds are o.k. Not if your making 1000 hp and have huge valves with extreme spring pressures.
Ported heads aren't going to give you 40rwhp - especially through an auto.

i wish mine had that big of a duration, mine are 270/270 with 540/540 lift,

Check out the houston performance regrind 292s cams. I just had some installed in my car and they make a lot of bumpty bump. No ptv issues. Pull all the way through the powerband.

Do you have any before/after dyno sheets to post up? Not that I don't believe you, but I would like to see what it did to your low end torque/powerband. What are the intake/exhaust duration specs at .050" lift.

Ive been lookin to go with a radical cam for my 03 GT, shes bone stock right now but im looking to get all my parts together so when i pull the block i can just do it all at once, im going with hooker longtubes, and a borla exhaust system thats what i know for sure, i wouldnt mind upgrading to a stage 2 head to support the radical cam but im not sure which head would be best and which cam would be equally as good

Im not a big fan of regrinds, that's why I don't offer them. I have seen too many clearance issues, noise issues,etc with smaller base circles on reground cams. I've also seen lobes crack from being re-ground. My CMS line are some of the most popular/aggrerssive cams out there and have been proven time and time again to work great. :nice:

Green&Goldgt

Sorry I do not have any of the dyno sheets. And I never dyno'ed it befor the cams and intake install. Also you would have to contact houston performance for the specs.

ALL
I know a lot of people don't like regrinds but money is tight right now and they were affordable. And I did not want to be like everyone else so I went a different route.