Bigs Stage 5 750DP

GoinBroke

Jul 13, 2006
Joliet, Il
I will soon need to purchase a carb and have narrowed it down to the Bigs Stage 5 DP and the standard Holley 750 DP. Please post on which you would go with on a 90% street/weekend car. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

1320stang said:
Look at ProSystems as well. Patrick James does magic.

I've never heard anything bad about ProSystems.

I have a Biggs 750 Stage 5. Very reliable and very responsive. I needed to jet it down and up the power valve to better match my combo (even though I gave exact build info ahead of time.) Oh well, I guess that is small stuff because I am very pleased with it now.

If money becomes an issue, you might consider an HP Holley with the 4 corner idle circuit. I would choose it over a standard 750.

Order it from Pro Systems direct. They custom build it to your specs and at a reasonable price IMO. You can send a carb in or have them build it from scratch. Don't buy a new carb, then send it in. www.pro-system.com

They have a form you need to fill out, it's pretty detailed, lots of info you need to know.

My buddy sent a 600DP to Patrick to go thru, the car was running 12.80s dialed in as best we could at WFC. Sent carb to Patrick over winter, no other changes to car, next year's WFC the car ran 12.30s. Car now has different engine and a new Pro Systems Pro Series 4150 on it, prices start at $590. Sending in an old 4150 costs about $350-$450 to refurb it, saves you about $150 if you already have a decent carb to send in.

A Holley 4150 HP starts out about $630 from Summit or Jegs. I've heard lots about all carb manufacturers concerning casting flash, carb bodies not machined right, trash in air bleeds. Patrick doesn't just assemble it, he tests it and flows it to make sure it performs great out of the box. Most people just put them on and it runs better than what was on it. And he gives you some guidence on changing jets and air bleeds if you choose to do so at the track. I also recommend getting his video, I understand it's sort of technical, but very good in understanding carbs.

GoinBroke said:
Thanks guys.

Dennis - Do you have any cold starting issues with no choke and how was the customer service?

One full push of the pedal and it starts up. Needs feathered for 15-20 seconds for it to idle on its own. Idles good by the time I get to the stop sign at the next corner.

Biggs builds carbs to order and dynos them too.

Jessie seems to take care of his customers. My carb arrived and UPS had broke the baseplate secondary pivot. I sent it back and asked for a different power valve than what he spec'd and he installed it and the new baseplate for free.