Blinkers=no go

Skoobie

Damn...Tyler65's hot!
May 25, 2003
Vancouver, WA
I THINK I may have this nailed down but Im not sure how to proceed. So as the title says the blinkers dont work. No solid light, no fast blink, just dark spots where the arrows use to be. Its is not a fuse. The 4 ways and reverse lights work. Its not the switch. I swapped a working one in and nothing. I think its the harness. I went through all three harnesses with a test light and got light on two of the three. My question is does the harness controlling the blinker switch have a hot wire when the key is in the on position? Also I cant find my chiltons so im not even sure which harness IS for the blinker? One time when I rehooked up my swich I kinda-sorta got a blink out of it but it quit after a few seconds. Soooooo what is the best way to test the harness? Which wire should be hot on that harness? If the harness is bad do I just cut the wires at the tree and splice in the replacement harness? Input please. :D

• Sponsors (?)

Autozone's website has free repair manuals. Just go there, put your car in, click repair info, then repair guides, and you can download any wiring diagram you want.

Secondly, did you check the wire from the blinker relay to the multifunction switch? Did you replace the actual blinker relay itself?

Ok it was NOT the ignition switch. Had to buy a stupid tamper proof bit to find that out :mad: So next I went to check the Flasher. I pulled the fusebox cover and there is a big empty space where it looks like the flasher should go. At closer inspection there are two white wires /w red stripes going from the connectors and they loop back and go behind the fusebox. Did someone modify the connection or is this suppose to be like this? If its modified what next? I dont see a place to put the flasher.:scratch:

Well i was just at Napa and asked for the relay (flasher) and he gave me the one for the hazards...I explained the situation and he seemed to think thats what i needed. Can anyone post a pic of the signal flasher or its location. I cant see anything that matches that description or location.

It is right behind the radio/ac units right above the tranmission tunnel near the carpet. It is light blue cylinder about the size of the hazard flasher just pull it out its stuck on a small plastic tab, on an L shaped bracket

stangbro said:
It is right behind the radio/ac units right above the tranmission tunnel near the carpet. It is light blue cylinder about the size of the hazard flasher just pull it out its stuck on a small plastic tab, on an L shaped bracket
Well, it seems we have a winner in the infamous Mustang Easter Egg Hunt for the turn signal flasher.:D

It does seem to move around, and depending on the year model, it may be hiding in another location...

Im going to subscibe to this....Im having the same problem on my 1989 GT. Everything on my dash worked until I replaced my heater core....now the blinkers don't work and the fan sometimes works and sometimes doesnt...

dbdragracing said:
Im going to subscibe to this....Im having the same problem on my 1989 GT. Everything on my dash worked until I replaced my heater core....now the blinkers don't work and the fan sometimes works and sometimes doesnt...

dbdragracing, I think your problem is going to the the ignition switch or wiring. Someone else just had the same problem you are having and he ended up finding his ignition switch had come apart.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=621751