Blowing Fuse for Instrument Panel Lights

ouhogfan

Jan 28, 2012
I have a 1997 Mustang 3.8 v6 manual. This car was my sons and he just gave it back to me because he purchased a new vehicle. The problem I'm trying to figure out at the moment is that when you release the parking brake it blows the fuse to the dash lights every time. Does anyone know what the connection between the two is and what would cause that?

• Sponsors (?)

WHICH fuse is blowing????? Does it happen to be I/P #15?

Is this a manual or automatic?

Does the cluster brake warning light work? When the parking break is set? What about if you push down the float in the master cylinder to simulate low brake fluid?

I need some more information to narrow this down. Check out the following resource. Pay special attention to the part about how to use a test light. What we are trying to do is to replace the fuse with a test light. This will give us a way to create an "analog" for the fuse. Something where the brightness of the light is a measure of the amount of current flowing.

If this is an automatic the problem could be in the shift interlock. But regardless it will help to have a way to wiggle and test the circuit without spending a fortune on fuses.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/