Blown fog light?

Hi All,

So my car blew the right side fog the other day so I replaced it with the sylvania 899 only to find that a couple days later the same one blew again :mad:

It seem dimmer then the left sided one does anyone else have any issue like this?

any comments welcome.
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Any water getting in there? I had the same problem and it was due to a little leak letting moisture build up, and water accumulate after a rain.

It also let some nasty sludge dirt build up, yellowing out the lense... so mine seem yellow and dim.

ya my passenger side had 2 bulbs blow out. after i looked the second time, the fog was half full (gotta be optimistic, right?)of water...i havent had a chance to pull it out to look at or replace the whole unit though.

if i replace it im just gonna get the smoke ultra clear set from american muscle though.

you remove the BULB just like you do with a headlight

to remove the whole unit there are 3 (perhaps 4) bolts of a bracket you need to take off

youre more than likely gunna have to jack the car up.

FWIW, im in the same boat

It could also be finger oil from puting the bulb in.....high intensity light bulbs burn out really quick if the bulb glass has any oil film on it...ie fingerprint....I wipe down bulbs with alcohol before installing and use surgical gloves and have never had a problem..... my 2 cents....

I gave up on mine and just took the fog lights out. I had a bulb explode and it actually melted the fog light housing. :nonono:

Anyways, as much as I am a fan of fog lights in general, and especially on our cars, I'm pretty happy with how the car looks without them. The holes are bigger than a car which never had them.

The holes are bigger than a car which never had them.

It's the same bumper, but the non-foglight versions have horizontal bars across them to "close" them up

1999MustangUnveiled3.jpg

I was having the same problem, here is a little trick: Take the smallest drill bit you can find and dill 1 or holes at the bottom of the fog light lens. This will let any water drain out and let moisture out also.

I did this with mine after blowing numerous bulbs and haven't blown one since.

I was having the same problem, here is a little trick: Take the smallest drill bit you can find and dill 1 or holes at the bottom of the fog light lens. This will let any water drain out and let moisture out also.

I did this with mine after blowing numerous bulbs and haven't blown one since.

Nice tip :nice:

I will check it out this weekend and see if it's water getting in, since I can't see any viable water from the outside through the lens :shrug:

If your taking the fogs out you might as well run some ducting from the space to the air intake.

Thanks for the comments all.