blows blue smoke after startup

87 GT

May 6, 2005
Iowa
Hey guys. Please help me with a problem on my son's 89 LX 5.0. He recently bought this car, and is in the process of fixing all the drag mods done by the previous owner. The problem is that the car starts and runs fine, but blows a ton of blue smoke upon acceleration. Doesn't do it at startup. Just while driving after a minute or so of warmup. The car has no EGR valve (removed and blocked). The PCV system appears to be hooked up. The engine appears stock, with no aftermarket parts. What could be causing the blue smoke? (other than a shot bottom end.) Give us some troubleshooting ideas. Could it be a non-functioning PCV system?

• Sponsors (?)

87 GT said:
Hey guys. Please help me with a problem on my son's 89 LX 5.0. He recently bought this car, and is in the process of fixing all the drag mods done by the previous owner. The problem is that the car starts and runs fine, but blows a ton of blue smoke upon acceleration. Doesn't do it at startup. Just while driving after a minute or so of warmup. The car has no EGR valve (removed and blocked). The PCV system appears to be hooked up. The engine appears stock, with no aftermarket parts. What could be causing the blue smoke? (other than a shot bottom end.) Give us some troubleshooting ideas. Could it be a non-functioning PCV system?

My 89 does the same thing, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear blow out very little blue smoke when Iam on it pretty good. I plan on replacing my rings at some point. I dont really know anything about pcv valves though so Iam sure someone could answer that for you.

Thanks for the replys.

No, it doesn't do it on startup. Not valve seals.

It smokes like a bandit while driving and accelerating only.

Oh, and the plugs look pretty good. No oil residue. Thay all look about the same, dry and tannish/gray. So I don't think it's rings.

Again, can a bad PCV cause intense smoking on acceleration?

87 GT said:
Thanks for the replys.

Oh, and the plugs look pretty good. No oil residue. Thay all look about the same, dry and tannish/gray. So I don't think it's rings.

It could be a number of things... how many miles on the motor?

87 GT said:
Thanks for the replys.

PCV is cheap and easy to replace. Might as well just try it to at least rule it out... Get it from the dealer :bang: I heard the diy stores valve don't fit quite right. And get the screen too while you're at it.

Smoke while you are driving is usally of an idication of oil slipping past the rings and into the combution chambers.

These cars (until 93) came from the factory with forged internals which require more clearance between the piston and side wall. Overtime (espeically with hard driving) the rings wear out. This is probably what is causing the smoke.

There aren't too many temporary things you can do, except for run a thick oil to minimize the blowby.

Does it smoke when your just going down the road or when your shifting at 5,000+ RPM?