Blowzilla or a good H/C/I swap?

One of these days, I'll get some in-car footage or something to post up. Preferably when I'm up against another Fox with a power adder.

I'll DEFINITELY get some footage of how the thing runs once the new motor is complete and I'm running the KB closer to it's potential.

• Sponsors (?)

A friend of mine had a '93 Lightening with a Kenne Bell. It was SICK. Absolutly the best setup...EVER for a street vehicle. It totally sold me on a KB for a street car with any kind of forced induction.

It did change the tone of his exhaust it was a little deeper sounding. Under full throttle you could hear the blower screaming and you could tell the engine was making boat loads of power.... and it was.

I'm not really seeing a KB just kill any h/c/i car? What are these stock motor KB cars running? 111+mph??? An afr/custom cam/Performer (rpm) combo can run 110mph...generally speaking...so what are these "destroying" combos of KB's running on stock motors?

5spd GT said:
I'm not really seeing a KB just kill any h/c/i car? What are these stock motor KB cars running? 111+mph??? An afr/custom cam/Performer (rpm) combo can run 110mph...generally speaking...so what are these "destroying" combos of KB's running on stock motors?

Pull up next to one at a stoplight and you will be a believer. LOL

Here's a Dyno for a 95 GT:

mcfeeters6mo.gif

Mods:
Kenne Bell Blowzilla 2.2L supercharger
30lb/hr injectors.
73mm C&L mass airflow sensor.
190L/h fuel pump
MSD boost retard

That's it! He's running 8 lbs and a conservative tune.

The thing to remember here is that often, a car with more peak HP will be left behind while said vehicle is building power. Makes quite a bit of difference when you're talking about short jaunts down the quarter mile.

Daggar said:
Pull up next to one at a stoplight and you will be a believer. LOL

Well you have quite a bit more mods...I was talking just a KB vs. a nice h/c/i setup...

So that 95gt made 330rwhp with just the KB and supporting mods...but stock exhaust/intake/heads/MAF/TB:shrug:

5spd GT said:
Well you have quite a bit more mods...I was talking just a KB vs. a nice h/c/i setup...

So that 95gt made 330rwhp with just the KB and supporting mods...but stock exhaust/intake/heads/MAF/TB:shrug:

Yes sir, that is correct with the exception of his C&L (which he already had).

300 ft/lbs at like 2000 or 2500 rpm at the wheels is not uncommon with a KB and it just hovers and you end up with a silly average ammount of torque over a gieven rpm range. No h/c/i can match a positive displacement blower for low end torque. They might match it for hp, but hp isn't what moves you.

When KB first hit the scene, they took a very lightly modified '93 Cobra (exhaust) and ran it stock, then swapped it over the blown and ran it again in the same day. Back to back it dropped liek 1.5-2 seconds and picked up like 13 mph at the top end............. and the car had 3.08 or 3.27 gears. If I remember right it ran low 12's and I think it even dipped into the 11's.

LOL,,,Im sure professionals can do it to hypter.. pistons,people that drive it under 10,000 miles ayear,and is mainly a track car.I put 40,000 miles a year on my car and go the track 70-80 times a year.(70-80 runs).Everyone Ive talked to said not to go over 6psi's...Your supportive talk gets me excited about the idea,but reality tells me not to do it..

willys1 said:
LOL,,,Im sure professionals can do it to hypter.. pistons,people that drive it under 10,000 miles ayear,and is mainly a track car.I put 40,000 miles a year on my car and go the track 70-80 times a year.(70-80 runs).Everyone Ive talked to said not to go over 6psi's...Your supportive talk gets me excited about the idea,but reality tells me not to do it..

Naaaaaaaah... There are fundamental differences between centrifugals and twin screws (which I'm sure I don't need to go through). There's hyper pistons in that 95 that I posted about too. As far as your mileage goes... it you don't dog it day in and day out, you shouldn't have any trouble whatsoever. Purchase a WB02 meter to go along with your kit. You can keep an eye on everything to ensure that it's all happy.

Daggar said:
Naaaaaaaah... There are fundamental differences between centrifugals and twin screws (which I'm sure I don't need to go through). There's hyper pistons in that 95 that I posted about too. As far as your mileage goes... it you don't dog it day in and day out, you shouldn't have any trouble whatsoever. Purchase a WB02 meter to go along with your kit. You can keep an eye on everything to ensure that it's all happy.
WB02 ?? LOL,,whats the difference in boost between the two?? Boost is boost aint it?

The WB02 is a wideband sensor from your 02 sensors that shows you the current air/fuel mixture and can alert you to danger...

Dagger - That is some nice power out of the hyper-powered 95 Gt...I'm impressed. Well there are different kinds of superchargers just like there are different kinds of paper towels:) Just different ways of making them and doing their jobs differently...

willys1 - I really wouldn't worry about the hyper pistons (I have a 93 as well)...I believe the pistons will actually outlast the block/crank...just have it tuned right...

I should probably note though, that driving around town with a Blowzilla will cause more frequent gas fillups. hehe "Staying out of the boost" with a twin screw is not nearly as easy as it is with a centrifugal. On the highway, my mileage actually increased!

On ething to think about with a KB when deciding between the standard and Blowzilla set is efficency.

Standard is rated for 6-9 psi
Blowzilla is rated for up to 18 psi

If you are going to cap psi at say 9-10 the standard will be working harder to make that boost, while the Blowzilla will be at the low end of its work capabilities. ie...not working hard to do the same job. That means less heat soak in the pressurized air. Plus the Blowzilla has the bypass valve for times when the engine doens't need the blower, like when you get on the Interstate and travel at a steedy speed.