Blueprint Engines

• Sponsors (?)

Are blueprint engines any good. I have a 1987 gt project car and want to buy a stroker crate. Any advice. Thanks. Also thinking about installing twin turbo.
Heard bad things about them. I personally haven't dealt with them though. Fwiw factory 302 blocks do not last long in hp ranges above 500rwhp. Instead of a twin turbo build a better shortblock with an aftermarket block with forged internals.

I would not buy a crate engine for any type of power adder no matter who built it. Certain parts need to be considered and not everything off the shelf will work once you go forced induction. I also second the notion of an aftermarket block. Realistically what are your hp goals and goals for the car?

Reactions: 1 user
I very very much agree with what 84Ttop said. When you get to a certain level it has to be put together by a professional taking every part into consideration. Crate engines are almost exclusively machined and assembled by entry level or unskilled labor, not professionals.

KUrt

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys for the reply. My budget is about $6,000 for the engine. So basically crate engines aren't worth it. My goal for the car us to have some what 400hp and install twin turbos on the car. I know the transmission has to get an upgrade. I bought my car and it is basically stock all the way around. I want my car to have some balls when I need it. Thanks any other advice would help.

I'm assuming with the 6k budget you're just talking about the engine alone. Not all the misc parts you need for said engine to run correctly ie mas meter,injectors,tuning,exhaust,ign,power adders etc.

What shape is your current engine in? If it runs well ie doesn't burn oil,has good oil pressure,etc. I'd throw a good h/c/i on it with all the above accessories you'll need and make a great running street engine. A well set up 302 with a good trans,suspension,rearend,and tires is capable of easy 12 sec et's in the 1/4 with good street manners. Or throw a good turbo/blower with supporting mods on it.

If your engine is shot and you do need a new long block there are a lot of good shops you can order one from like DSS,CHP,Ford Strokers to name a few. But with a 6k budget you will be limited to a stock block rebuild. With a stock block you will be limited on how much power you can ultimately run. The unwritten rule is around 500rwhp is block splitting territory. If you are planning on some crazy bad*** twin turbo setup you are talking about a 20k build not 6k. You have to remember all the extras add up quickly. A meter,injectors,tuning, and fuel system add up to an easy 1+k depending on what you need(good fuel system alone is 1.5k)

+1 with a5literman.

I will have close to $6k in my 331 once it's "done". A lot of my parts are used, and I have a stock block and cast crank.

Joe

Bump.

How’s their reputation these days?

The factory five Cobra guys love them, but I’ve always heard bad stuff about them. Have they turned it around?

I’m not buying one...but since I lurk the FFR cobra forums, I wonder about this