Boiled brake fluid..sticking calipers?

merc123

Jan 27, 2003
North GA
On my way home from work today (in traffic...used lower gear mostly for braking) and about half way through the traffic I felt something like brake fade. I didn't think anything of it and didn't use my brakes enough to realize anything different until I stopped for gas. I noticed it was definitely not a firm pedal and a little longer to stop.

I checked the master cylinder and there was fluid on the valve cover and down the sides of the reservoir. Took it to the mechanic and he said no leaks and he thinks it boiled the fluid. Both front brakes had red dust on the wheels and had turned the rotors a brownish color. The RF wheel center cap even fell out (assuming it got so hot it melted out). Got back out on the road after it cooled and I had a good firm pedal. Made it out on the highway and went to hit the brakes and sure enough felt faded. Pulled into gas station and it sounded like water on a hot rotor on the LF caliper.

The car's been sitting in storage for about a 1.5 years on jack stands and have driven it about 2,000 miles since I got it out of storage. I also just did a brake fluid flush with Prestone DOT3 so it's fresh fluid. It's still clear. What should I do or replace?

• Sponsors (?)

I would just go with PBR refurbs from the auto parts store. They are extremely low cost.

I posted #2 from an iTouch did not feel like typing a whole lot. What I was trying to say is that I think one or more calipers seized from lack of use and is constantly grabbing onto the rotor. This is causing massive amounts of heat which is cooking the fluid, the rotor, the pads, and the caliper. The heat is also causing the continual brake fade. The rotor is probably warped as well from the heating and braking. I would not recommend driving the car until this is corrected.

Once you determine which caliper(s) are affected you will need to replace them as well as most likely needing a new rotor due to warpage. You will also most likely need to install new pads. The fluid is toast also and will need replaced.