Bought my first Mustang but came with quite a few problems

I just bought a 1966 Mustang from a guy I served in the Navy with and it has been sitting for 2 years. The previous owner before him replaced the original 289 with a 302. I already put a new battery and ignition switch in and finally got it running but there were a few problems. The car only started in Neutral and not in park. The ignition started on "On" and not on "Start" and once it started the starter was stuck on. I am a very novice mechanic but have plenty of time on my hands after work to work on this beautiful car but I dont have much experience. I'm hoping I could get a few pointers of where to start on these problems through these forums.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Hope this helps:
First try to adjust the neutral safety switch (it is also called a backup light switch)
Let us know what you find.

The starter issue is probably the solenoid...the old Ford solenoids are prone to failure, especially if its an aftermarket brand...your best bet for solenoids is Motocraft....but always keep an extra one around...I went through about once a year when I daily drove my old 67.

The ignition switch problem is probably misalignment(or more likely the switch bezel broke when someone tried to remove the switch incorrectly and someone glued it back on clocked wrong...there is a trick to removing them, or the bezel will break off and spin...ask me how I know)

Neutral safety switch for the last one.

Thank you for your help and I've posted pictures as requested
20200115_140413.jpg
20200115_140940.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Ok, I have installed a new bezel ring and starter solinoid thank you wicked93gs. The bezel ring did help. But the starter solinoid didn't fix the sound which I do not think is the starter now. I also installed the safety ignition switch which fixed my starting in neutral problem thank you to General karthief. I live a few miles near Nation Parts Warehouse Ventura so I can get any part same day. Please let me know if anyone has any thoughts on the noise. It's coming from the left side of the engine near the starter. Alittle exhaust/smoke aswell. I appreciate everyone's help so far.

What 'bezel ring'?
And the started is on the passenger side right? The noise is coming from the area where the starter is it could be the wrong starter or flywheel, could you possible post a video with sound?

What 'bezel ring'?
And the started is on the passenger side right? The noise is coming from the area where the starter is it could be the wrong starter or flywheel, could you possible post a video with sound?
It is the ignition switch bezel ring. I tried uploading the video I took tonight but the forum would not allow me to upload it. The audio isn't the best but I could try to email it to you. It's a MP4 file

Ok, got my mind in the right century, now I remember those switch bezels! PITA!
Do you know what year the 302 is from?
Pull the starter off and check the torque converter bolts, I think there are 4, or maybe 5, been a while, you will rotate the engine by hand, if your not a big strong boy (I am not) a long ratchet or breaker bar on the crank bolt will work, if you pull all the spark plugs out it is even more easy to turn it over. Then you have to hold it still while you torque it down.
25-28 ft lbs I don't know how much 28 feet weight so I use a torque wrench.

Ok, got my mind in the right century, now I remember those switch bezels! PITA!
Do you know what year the 302 is from?
Pull the starter off and check the torque converter bolts, I think there are 4, or maybe 5, been a while, you will rotate the engine by hand, if your not a big strong boy (I am not) a long ratchet or breaker bar on the crank bolt will work, if you pull all the spark plugs out it is even more easy to turn it over. Then you have to hold it still while you torque it down.
25-28 ft lbs I don't know how much 28 feet weight so I use a torque wrench.
So I pulled the starter and tightened all the torque converter bolt. Trying to rotate that by hand was a pain in butt but all the bolts were as tight as they would go for me. I did take pictures of the starter and the serial number. The engine is from 72 if I'm reading it right D2 is the first letter and number D-1970 and 2 for the year. Everything looked fine, no damage to either the starter or the flywheel.