Brake Booster help

• Sponsors (?)

I ordered a remaned Cardone one from Ebay for $110 a couple months ago. No core charge. Worked great. Just had to shorten the push rod it came with significantly.

Reactions: 1 user
Also in need of a replacement brake booster for '78 302. My son bought this car and the guy told him the booster was bad [hissing]. We never imagined it would be impossible to find a 1:1 replacement. Ended up talking with a tech at a booster supplier who came up with something he said would work. While the mounts all line up it is about 1 1/2 inches shorter [length of booster 'body'], which creates an issue with mounting the master cylinder without replacing hard lines, and also the push rod end is just a threaded shaft vs. the "loop" connector end on the original. I hav scoured the interwebs to find a plug-n-play replacement and I am coming up with nothing. All of the sources I have found that allegedly sell a replacement [p/n 54-73201] show out of stock, and it looks like will be that way indefinitely. My son and I can handle most general auto mechanical work/repairs and have gotten fairly deep into some things on other vehicles, but getting into mod'ing a brake booster to fit this gem is new territory for us. Any help, guidance, advice is appreciated!

Also in need of a replacement brake booster for '78 302. My son bought this car and the guy told him the booster was bad [hissing]. We never imagined it would be impossible to find a 1:1 replacement. Ended up talking with a tech at a booster supplier who came up with something he said would work. While the mounts all line up it is about 1 1/2 inches shorter [length of booster 'body'], which creates an issue with mounting the master cylinder without replacing hard lines, and also the push rod end is just a threaded shaft vs. the "loop" connector end on the original. I hav scoured the interwebs to find a plug-n-play replacement and I am coming up with nothing. All of the sources I have found that allegedly sell a replacement [p/n 54-73201] show out of stock, and it looks like will be that way indefinitely. My son and I can handle most general auto mechanical work/repairs and have gotten fairly deep into some things on other vehicles, but getting into mod'ing a brake booster to fit this gem is new territory for us. Any help, guidance, advice is appreciated!

Cardone will rebuild yours, you can get that service through RockAuto:

Speedway booster
DSCF0339.JPG
DSCF0340.JPG
s-l1600-9-2.jpg

Had to use a slug in back of master cylinder to fit the new booster.

Modified / welded clevis to be shorter

Another option is using clevis as sold and using a spacer between fire wall and booster but won't help your hard line problem(your due for new?)
9107004_L_1b7968b4-8e21-445e-b4f0-b03178d7e5c3.jpg

Reactions: 1 user