Brakes Brake caliper question

Hello all,

I'm about to do my 5 lug swap on a 90 fox. I got the rear set up from a friend who had it on his car. It was in good working order but today I noticed some brake fluid at the bottom of one of the calipers. The rubber boots on one of the caliper is no longer attached to both ends but it does move up and down. It's a stock 94-95 gt caliper. Is the caliper bad? Should I just get a new set up? Attached is a pic. I hope you can see it. Thanks

Attachments

• brake cal pic.jpg
    brake cal pic.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Sponsors (?)

It's fine.

Use two wrenches to unbolt the Caliper from the abutment. One wrench on the inside, and one you remove the bolt. Then the caliper will be free of the slide pins. You can pull the slide pin free from the abutment. Regrease it and then reinstall. The rubber boots just slip over the lip. If there are any tears you can buy the boots separate to replace

I clean the pins thoroughly with a bench wire wheel. I then run a bore brush with solvent through the caliper pin holes. It's good to make everything spotless. I then lube with permatex similar to this

If you neglect to get these pins and their bores clean, free and properly lubed with correct stuff for brakes, they hang up and cause uneven pad wear and poor braking performance. Regular grease will cook under the heat of brakes and gum it all up.

Reactions: 1 user