Brake Light Mystery... puzzler Please Help

Winfaulker

Apr 2, 2009
Hello all.

Ok, so i am stumped with this one, and i definitely need some help before i drive into a canyon, or just get rear-ended . Just picked up a sweet 89 White LX for a sic deal. Brake lights no good though.... So I check the fuse box.. NO FUSE!! sweet, i throw one in... it pops immediately as i push the brake pedal. Hazards don't pop it, so it must be the brake light switch right? Throw in a new switch, still no brakes... bulbs are all good and tail lights light up fine. So now i am thinking its a short. problem is i searched the whole hatch area, and looked as much as possible up by the pedals, everything seems fine. The guy I bought it from said the brakes were always fine until he painted the car, and when he painted it he removed the spoiler. Could this be connected or just a coincidence? is it worth is to pull of the spoiler? basically i am stuck here. please gents, any help is really appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

brake lights

im no pro but i think the brake switch is ran thru the ground,and thats why fuse dosnt untill u hit brake switch...i would go over what the other owner did than starting from the back work your way to front and see if wires are pinched..if you need jrichker passed on a very big wire diagram on 1989,,will need email to send

Hi,

Im looking at a wiring diagram for a 93 Convertible.

The feed to the bulbs is the BR wire which is spliced and wired to each bulb.
The Ground is the BK wire. Theres 2 ground points as well as 3 splices into that brake light bulb ground also.

The fuse is blowing as you have a short. Voltage is running through the circuit before it reaches the resistances of the bulbs. I would check the feed wiring. You could also jumper your own ground on the brake light bulbs, giving them a new ground and seeing if the fuse pops.

Dont forget to check around the brake light switch on the brake pedal itself. If you probe around the brake light switch, becareful of the Airbag system :)