Brake Self-Adjuster

Pappy

Jan 14, 2010
I have a 65 Mustang 289 and need help.
After replacing my rear wheel cylinders and putting everything back together my self adjusters are not working properly. I checked everything 3 times now with all new parts. When I pulled on the self adjusting cable to check the star advancement it did not advance. Everything is new can anyone help me out please? I even double checked my installation out in my shop manual and all looks good.:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

It doesn't work that way. When you apply the brakes going backward, the adjuster tab rides up on the star wheel. If the brakes are loose, it catches a tooth, and tightens the star when released.

The shop manual states to check the action of the adjuster by pulling on the cable to see if the star advances to the next star tooth. So if it does not work by pulling the cable as described in the book how will I know for sure it works when in reverse and apply brakes. :shrug:

If the brake stays in adjustment, it's working. I don't depend on this, though. I adjust them manually when I inspect them.

Thank you for your input, I finally got it working. I backed off the adjuster till it was loose then pulled on the cable sure enough it begun to adavnce the sttar as it should.:nice: