Brake upgrade suggestions

Phils69

Nov 2, 2011
Stokesdale,NC
Hey all,

I have visited here often in the past and am now finally ready to upgrade my front brakes and would like input. I have a 69 Mach 1 with drums all around. Four years ago I rebuilt the front suspension back to stock and installed a 5 leaf rear spring. It still has the stock 14" spindles. The car will not be at the autocross track so I just want to add front disc and booster to make the car safe to drive. Since it looks like i'm gonna have to change the tire size to accomidate new spindles I am looking for a 16" tire setup. Any suggestions will be helpful.

• Sponsors (?)

Phils69,
There are many choices available, but I must say that after having done several different methods on several cars, the CSRP kit is the best bang for the buck. I suggest swap 2 or 3 for your application:

Which front disc brake conversion is right for your car?

I just installed a swap 2 on a 66 convertible and I can't say enough good things about the fit, ease of install and completeness of the kit, right down to every fastener and even required thread lockers and lubes! We went with manual/non-power and the car stops fantastic. The swap 1 could also be a good option, but replacement parts for the Granada style stuff is cheaper and more certain to be readily available in the future. You didn't state whether you have power or manual steering or manual or automatic transmission, these things are relevant factors, but if you call Dennis at CSRP, he will steer you straight. Great product support and customer service. You could likely save a couple $$ with other routes but by the time you monkey around and chase/source other parts the savings dry up pretty quick. Also these kits no longer require plumbing in a separate residual valve, as it is now incorporated into the master cylinder. I would also recommend that you opt for the non-adjustable proportioning valve for ease, unless you plan more mods (rear disc, etc.) in the future. Oh, and with this kit, you won't need to change to 16 inch wheels.
HTH,
Gene

Thanks. I'll have to give them a call about the prices. I am running a C4 tranny with the Randalls Rack steering setup. I like the looks of the swap 2 but it will require a wheel size change which is ok with me. I want the tire/wheel selection with the bigger sizes. I definitely need bigger tires on the rear to help with traction. Do you think the manual brakes would be ok with the heavier 69 model? Does it require much pedal effort?