Brake Upgrade Without the 5-Lug Conversion

Imatk

Apr 17, 2005
So I've been looking into doing the 5-lug conversion on my car.

Basically because I want the brakes to be better.

But I just can't find any wheel that I really like compared to my original pony wheels.

The Cobra 2003 wheels look good, and the SVT wheels look good... but I just don't think I like them as much as my originals.

Sooo with that in mind, are there any upgrades to the brakes I could do without doing the 5-lug conversion?

Are there any kits that work for four lug?

Or is there anything I can do for my four lug setup?

Thanks for any help :)

• Sponsors (?)

Want to say you can use a Lincolhn caliper up front. Direct bolt on that many use to do the budget 5-lug swap. Cant remember the year, but if I find the Mustang book I read from...I'll give you the part number.

Didnt find the book I'm thinking of but hers another budget upgrade.... "Mustang 5.0 Projects" by Mark Houlahan. It uses a Maximum Motorsports kit that includes Hawk pads, and steel hoses. It also mentions that you can use Mark VII calipers that increase the piston diameter. (They are stock dimensions).

Imatk said:
Are there any kits that work for four lug?

Or is there anything I can do for my four lug setup?

Thanks for any help :)

If you really really really! love your wheels you can convert the rear to disc and use a bigger caliper up front with a BAER DISC.

the 5 lug conversion is about the same price and its just easier for the future.

Ive got Turbo Coupe rear discs on my car right now, with the SVO master sylinder, 73 mm calipers and some good pads. Stops WAY better than the facrtory setup. You can pickup a complete Tbird rear end at the junkyard, they come with 3.55 or 3.73 gears, and just bolt it in! The best part is that they are 3/4" per side wider than stock, which would help bring your factory pony wheels out flush with the fender.