Brake Upgrade

Hi all i am back after a brief hiatus from foxbody's and selling my 92 to pay for collage i just picked myself up a 93 convertible with a little 4 banger. having never driven a stock fox before i can confirm that the brakes do suck anyways i am looking to upgrade this car little by little in hopes for it not to be down to long i feel like my booster is on its way out so i was wondering can i do some preemptive upgrade to a 93 cobra booster with a 94 master and a 3-2 before upgrading the rest to a 5 lug sn95 system?

• Sponsors (?)

Really needs to be done all at once, with some exceptions

Swapping a 4-wheel disk MC onto a car with rear drum brakes is going to make the brakes hard as a rock. It's all a system designed to work together, so mixing and matching is what leads to issues with brakes feeling like junk.

If you really want to do it a little at a time, just swap the front brakes to Sn95 94-95 spindles, 13" rotors and 99-04 Cobra brakes. You can run that with rear drums and not need to touch the MC/Booster at this time.

When you upgrade to rear disk brakes, then you need to do the MC/Booster and parking brake mods.

Really needs to be done all at once, with some exceptions

Swapping a 4-wheel disk MC onto a car with rear drum brakes is going to make the brakes hard as a rock. It's all a system designed to work together, so mixing and matching is what leads to issues with brakes feeling like junk.

If you really want to do it a little at a time, just swap the front brakes to Sn95 94-95 spindles, 13" rotors and 99-04 Cobra brakes. You can run that with rear drums and not need to touch the MC/Booster at this time.

When you upgrade to rear disk brakes, then you need to do the MC/Booster and parking brake mods.
Is there a full kit you can recommend is it worth doing with the 7.5 in there or wait to upgrade to an 8.8 and do brakes and 8.8 at the same time

Is there a full kit you can recommend is it worth doing with the 7.5 in there or wait to upgrade to an 8.8 and do brakes and 8.8 at the same time

There are so many options that's it's tough to just point to one kit and say do this. The old M-2300-K kit used to be the bible, and Baer made a competing kit, but neither is available anymore.

The 7.5 and 8.8 can both take the same brakes. The axles and drums are the same and both are 28 spline. SO you could put a cobra rear disk brake on a 7.5", and then when you upgrade to an 8.8, it will all transfer over.

This is the closest you'll come to the old 2300-K kit

The 7.5 and 8.8 take the same 28 spline axles. 5 lug fox length rear axles and ford ranger drums. 94/95 front spindles and brakes. You could use 96 to 98 spindles / brakes and add offset rack bushings to lower the rack to help with bump steer. However, the geometry still won't be perfect but drivable. ( cheaper easier to find option ) If you go to a MM k member, for v8 swapn, they want you to use 96 to 98 spindles

5L5 is the man. His brake advise is spot on. I drove on the mentioned 96+ drum brake set up for a couple years. The 96+ spindles will cause some bump steer and a bump steer kit will not remove it all. The pivot for the kit will want to be where the spindle tie rod knuckle is.

I have to ask, as I sometimes do, why up grade the brakes on a 4 cyl car?
Don't say because the brakes suck, they can be rebuilt to work just fine with the 4 cyl performance level.
I'm not trying to talk you out of it.

I have to ask, as I sometimes do, why up grade the brakes on a 4 cyl car?
Don't say because the brakes suck, they can be rebuilt to work just fine with the 4 cyl performance level.
I'm not trying to talk you out of it.
No i get you im just going to enjoy the car and upgrade as i go my plan is this winter to drop a Carbed 5.0 in there (i hate wiring) with a T56 and a 8.8 and figured mid summer i would have a 94-95 axel and do the front as the same time as the 8.8 swap going to replace my factory booster (pedal feels soft but engages half way down) use the forms to build the breaks right and make a sleek daily on a budget

• Clever
Reactions: 1 user
You could use a kit for a 5.0 but the spring rate would be lighter because of 4 banger engine. Most people run a 225 or 250lb spring on a v8 street car. Might want to call mm for the best spring rate for what you want. The struts are dependent on the kit. I used upr with regular Monro black struts. Had to use a chisel to knock off the top cap and a piece of masking tape on the top and bottom of where the sleeve rides. They sell the same strut for 4 cylinder and v8. One just uses shims to take up the space on the spindle mounting location.